Bino Rant

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Bino Rant

Post by Captqc »

I'm mad a heck and just ain't going to take it! :mad: Thanks guys I feel better now! :P Oops! I forgot to tell my story....
Last year I bought a pair of Nikon 8x32 binos and used them three times. On the third trip I noticed that the were dark (like looking thru smog). I took them back to place I bought them and the guy couldn't believe it. He gave me a replacement on the spot (no messing around with sending them to Nikon). So this year I take the new pair out for our first trip and what do you know? Yup, they have the same problem!!! :mad: Here come the real rant, the place I got them from is in liquidation so I had to send them to Nikon this time, $10.95 postage, I get an e-mail from Nikon which says just pay $10 plus $12.50 shipping and we'll fix the "alignment" :huh: I'm going to have them repaired but I'm never buying Nikon binos again! :eew: As far as scopes go, I'm into Leupold (I own 4) but I'm open to opinions on binos... so let's here what works for you guys. :chin: Thanks!
Gary
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Bino Rant

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sorry to hear of the Nikon woes Gary. As far as a bino replacement goes, just remember your own words above, and consider a pair of Leupy bino's this time. I'm a happy camper with my new Lupy 7-12X Switch Powers....bright, clear, crisp, and the beauty of two magnifications to choose from. Check out some of their Green Ring import stuff....very good quality for the price. Also remember the warranty of all their stuff, Gold or Green Ring is lifetime guarantee, and they don't charge you ANYTHING for repair if/when needed.

As an aside, I've heard very good things about Vortex Optics lately. Very good value for the money, and even the Nosler Pro Shop carries them now in addition to Leupold as a less expensive alternative. You may want to check them out prior to laying down any cash for another brand.

Do you need a bino for our upcoming shoot next week?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Rick, thanks for the advice! I've got our friend working on a replacement but want advice before I committ. I have a backup pair for the shoot. See ya Wednesday. Gary
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Gary, it is true that Leupold has good binos and we know how awesome their customer service is. I also would consider Bushnell. Any product from that company that has Elite in it's name is truly a premium product. The Elite line has never received thier due respect.
I know a retired factory rep who sold Swarovski and Leica and other top optics for decades who says Bushnell Elite are the best bargain in optics.
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

Go swarovski !
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

What do you guys know about Vortex? I've got a church buddy who knows a Vortex rep.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Don't leave out Pentax binos either. See if you can have a lineup of the different brands and try them all out.
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Acloco, I received an e-mail about a deal on Pentax. Have you had experience with them? They are only $189 so they are in my price range (I'd like to stay under $250). Gary
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

acloco wrote: See if you can have a lineup of the different brands and try them all out.
If he does that, He'll be stuck with another Nikon product :lol: .... I have the 10x36 Nikon Dream Season and they are flawless just like all my other Nikon products. Never had a mechanical issue with anything that sports the Nikon name.... It's to bad they beat you up like that. Two pair with the same problem disserves free shipping and repair :mad: . What model did you have Captqc?? The Bushnell Excursion and Trophy series are nice with a $150 price tag. They're VERY close to the clarity of Nikon for a lot less money.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Mike,
I know that Nikon makes some fine stuff that's why I'm so pissed about these binos! :mad: I don't remember the model but I did find a small sticker that said "Made in China" on them, maybe that's the problem. :chin:
Gary
Hotshot

Post by Hotshot »

Of the moderately priced binos(I can't spell that word either), The Pentax are the best for use with eye glasses I've found. I have a 15 year old pair that work great.
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Hotshot, I can spell binocular, I'm just lazy! :eek: Anyway you mentioned that Pentax was the best for us old farts who wear glasses. I saw that claim on a web site but didn't really take note until you mentioned it. Is there a particular model number to look at? The older I get to more I want things to work in my favor and not just get by. Gary
Hotshot

Post by Hotshot »

Just says Pentax PCF. Mine are 16X50 and my Dad has the 10X50, a friend bought 12X50. These were display models on clearance sale way back about 1994 or 1995. I use the 16's when I'm spotting for another shooter so I can give real good info on the bullet strike. These three binoculars(I can spell it now that you showed me how) have worked very hard over the years with no problems. I now use the Leica BRF in 10 power for everything. That's the way to go, but I sold a bunch of good stuff(as you know) so I could afford them. I'll lend you the 16's if you want to try them.
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Hotshot, thanks for the offer! I'm going to sample some Leupolds this weekend and I'll see where I'm at after that. Gary
Hotshot

Post by Hotshot »

I love Leupold rifle scopes and spotting scopes, but their gold ring binos are too heavy and the Japanese binos are hard for me to use with my eye glasses.