Leupold oopsie

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Dennis

Leupold oopsie

Post by Dennis »

Hi guys

I don't jump in much, just stay in the background & soak up the info. Seems I do better at keeping my mouth shut most of the time, unless I have a problem, and you guys are a step or two ahead of me anyway!
But--- I just received a Leupold VXIII for a new toy I'm working on and when I unpacked it I noticed a few oddities about it. The "gold ring" is marked VXIII 4.5-14 allright (as is the box) but after closer inspection, I found that it appears to be a VXII 4-12! Power ring stamped 4-12, no range marks etc. Anyway I called cust service and there was no time wasted, I was instructed to send it back and they would take care of it. I realize this shouldn't have got out the factory door, but mistakes happen. Now if I just dont get any flak about it I'll be happy, from the sounds of it, I dont expect any. Kind of dissappointed in one way, but glad that so far they seem to be willing to take care of it. Wonder what would have happened if I got a foreign made scope that this happened to? Kind of makes me appreciate the USA product a little more.

I'll let you know how this turns out, Hope noone else gets one of these

Dennis
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Leupold oopsie

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Dennis, it appears Murphy also visits the Leupold factory. From past experience, I know they'll take care of it right away, and you won't be without the proper scope for very long, nor get any flak of any kind. I know most here probably grow tired of me pumping Leupold, but really, in all the years since 1968 when I started using their optics, I've never been disappointed in any way; quite the contrary. This just illustrates that humans do indeed inhabit their factory in Beaverton.

As you said, try to return one of the offshore scopes and see what happens. (I'm not talking about the Euro scopes here either, who all have US offices for such matters.....)

I've got the same scope on my Kimber 84M Varmint in 204, and it seems to look right at home there.

For shooting off the bench at Skippy, it wears a 2.5" sunshade, but will go into the sage after 'Ole Wiley without it. Let us see your rifle when you get the scope back.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

kingalw
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12VLP LH

Post by kingalw »

Yeah I can say I am very happy with their customer service. I was out at the range making elevation changes and left one of my dial covers laying there and of course when I went back it was gone. I called Leupold fully expecting to have to pay for a new set, and they took my name and address and a new set was in the mail before I could even offer to pay for them!!!
Ausiboy

Post by Ausiboy »

kingalw wrote:Yeah I can say I am very happy with their customer service. I was out at the range making elevation changes and left one of my dial covers laying there and of course when I went back it was gone. I called Leupold fully expecting to have to pay for a new set, and they took my name and address and a new set was in the mail before I could even offer to pay for them!!!
I am in Australia and had the exact same experience. Leupold should be proud of their customer service.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

Dennis- Like the others have said, their customer support is awesome. That alone is a major selling point for their scopes. You have a lifetime scope there.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Yep, Leupold CS is top notch. I've had them send me: New scope caps (lost one), new eyepiece for a spotting scope(fell from 5 feet), and check on a scope (there wasn't anything wrong with it evidently) and I had it back in a week and a half. I've also heard of guys poking at the reticles and breaking them, and leupold fixing it free of charge.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

Leupold makes a good scope but they are not made in America anymore.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

I thought they were, in Beaverton OR. The glass comes from Asia.

Jim
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Let's get this straight right now. Leupold does, and always has made their scopes and bino's here. Anything with a Golden Ring is made in Beaverton, Oregon, USA, period. Ever been to the factory? What do you think all those optical technicians are doing in their little white coats in the factory? Gee.....maybe making scopes and binoculars?

Like all optics makers, they rely on premium glass lens, ground both here, Asia, Germany, and Austria. Leupold buys lens from the three top makers in the world, as does the Euro top-end makers. I'm close to management at the factory, and like them, cringe whenever I see misinformed individuals making incorrect comments such as done above. If they were offshore made, I would not own them.

Also keep in mind that Leupold imports optics sold under their trade names such as Wind River, which wear a green ring, and are not made here. Price and quality reflect both 'brands', but even their imports are impressive in terms of optical quality. Let's try to only make statements are are actually true, and not repeat what some dolt said in the gun shop.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bergcrane2

Post by Bergcrane2 »

Thanks Rick.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Let's get this straight right now. Leupold does, and always has made their scopes and bino's here. Anything with a Golden Ring is made in Beaverton, Oregon, USA, period. Ever been to the factory? What do you think all those optical technicians are doing in their little white coats in the factory? Gee.....maybe making scopes and binoculars?

Like all optics makers, they rely on premium glass lens, ground both here, Asia, Germany, and Austria. Leupold buys lens from the three top makers in the world, as does the Euro top-end makers. I'm close to management at the factory, and like them, cringe whenever I see misinformed individuals making incorrect comments such as done above. If they were offshore made, I would not own them.

Also keep in mind that Leupold imports optics sold under their trade names such as Wind River, which wear a green ring, and are not made here. Price and quality reflect both 'brands', but even their imports are impressive in terms of optical quality. Let's try to only make statements are are actually true, and not repeat what some dolt said in the gun shop.
Rick,

The "glass from Asia" comment is what I was told some 3-4 months ago when I did visited their factory (although I took I raincheck on the tour). Personally (IMO), it's just plain ignorance that good glass comes from Europe only. I have an (old) KOWA TSN-1 spotting scope with a LER x25 eyepeice thats 20 years old and it's just as clear as any doggone "high-dollar" Swavorski I've ever looked through.

The quality comes from the craftsman...

Jim
Bergcrane2

Post by Bergcrane2 »

Jim White wrote:
Rick in Oregon wrote:Let's get this straight right now. Leupold does, and always has made their scopes and bino's here. Anything with a Golden Ring is made in Beaverton, Oregon, USA, period. Ever been to the factory? What do you think all those optical technicians are doing in their little white coats in the factory? Gee.....maybe making scopes and binoculars?

Rick,

The "glass from Asia" comment is what I was told some 3-4 months ago when I did visited their factory (although I took I raincheck on the tour). Personally (IMO), it's just plain ignorance that good glass comes from Europe only. I have an (old) KOWA TSN-1 spotting scope with a LER x25 eyepeice thats 20 years old and it's just as clear as any doggone "high-dollar" Swavorski I've ever looked through.

The quality comes from the craftsman...

Jim
Jim, I think you misunderstood Rick. Most everyone I know, know's that very good glass comes from Japan. They're regarded second only to Bavaria. I have no problem buying either. I think it's funny that my Sony cameras come with Zeiss glass.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

It wasn't my intent to counter what Rick is saying about Leupold scopes so perhaps I didn't articulate it very well. Rick seems to be pretty passonate about Leupold scopes and it stands to reason when one has had excellent craftsmanship and service from them for years on end.

The only thing I was adding to the post from rayfromtx was what I was told by Leupold that their glass came from Asia, which to me is no big deal. It's the final product is what counts and as I mentioned earlier, I'll comapre my Kowa (Japanese made) against a Swavorski (made somewhere in Eurpoe) anyday. I say that because (and it just maybe my perception) that a lot of folks imply Japanese optics are "always" inferior to European optics. I just don't buy it.

As far Leupold scope manufacturing, when I replied earlier I was 95% sure they are made in Beaverton because when I visited thier factory I was told (as Rick mentioned) all Gold-Ring products were assembled and tested in Beaverton and I'm pretty sure they're packaged there as well. What I wasn't sure about, was, whether or not the tubes, sighting mechanisms and such were manufactured there (nor did I ask). Heck, I was just happy (and surprised) they would take the time to talk with me, much less offer me a tour (and one of these days I'll take them up on their offer).

As far as my experience with Leupold scopes, I own two.

- The 1st, came on a Ruger Model 77, its a 3.5-10x40 VARIX-III. It was manufactured in 1985 (IIRC). It's not as clear as the the more recent models from their competitors but it has never failed me.
- The second (I just bought a couple months ago) is a 8.5-25x50 VX3 (30mm tube). The clarity between it and my Zeiss 4.5-15x50 (1" tube) is pretty darn close. It's very repeatable.
- I've had nothing but good luck with their customer service although my issues were very minor, stripped ring screws etc...

Regarding the new Leupold scope line (VX3), all the Leupold naysayers should give them a look. They're pretty darn nice, good clarity, free scope coat, lots of internal wind/elevation adjustments and as (with each of mine) extremly repeatable.

Hope this helps clear up my previous posting...