New Scope

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: New Scope

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Graham: Most here know I'm a biased and loyal Leupold shooter. That said, for what you want to do with your particular rifle, I'd recommend the 4.5-14X with the 40mm objective. This will allow mounting in your low 1" rings and just clear the barrel.

If you go with the Long Range version of that scope, it will have a 30mm main tube, then you'll need new rings, but gain more elevation travel. I'd also get the scope with their excellent Varmint Hunter Reticle for easier longer range holding without dialing.
:D

Hi Rick,

Couple of questions;

1. What's your thoughts on the type of target knobs on (Leupold) scopes with the varmint reticle? I was looking at the model with target turrets but I really like the 30mm with the low profile knobs (for use with the varmint reticle).

2. Actually, the model I was looking at is a 6.5-20x40 VX-3, Long Range (30mm with S/F) with a varmint reticle. For coyote hunting in (Washington & Oregon) is 6.5 power too much? I could try the 4.5-14 powers but for the ground squirrels they would be awfully small way out there. I'd be using this groung squirrels as well.

Thanks!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hi there Jim....
I'll try to answer the best I can in the order asked:

1. For the past few years after experience with Leupold's target knobs, and specifically their VX-3 scopes with the 30mm maintube, I've come to the conclusion that for what I do, I greatly prefer using their M1 elevation adjustment, and leave the 'standard' low profile windage adjustment as-is on these scopes (the standard 'target' knobs are too high, and the windage knob really sticks out there making carrying the rifle more difficult in the field). With the additon of the VHR, it gives me the best of both worlds; "dial-a-rat" (using my come-up charts on the scope flip cover for precise first shot hit probability), and for fast action, using the VHR as it was indended.

The thing I don't like about the standard low profile elevation adjustment, is you can't see the numbers from the shooting position without dismounting the gun. You can't dial precisely with them this way when bench shooting.

This photo shows my Kimber Varmint 204 with a Leupold VX-3, 4.5-14X, w/40mm objective and their excellent M1 (as used on their Mark-4 scopes) elevation adjustment. This allows me to see the numbers easily marked in .25 MOA, and is also fairly low profile compared to the regular target knobs.

2. The primary use of the above rifle with the 4.5-14X is for 'walkabout squirrels' with coyotes thrown in also. All my dedicated bench rifles for squirrels or PD's have 6.5-20X scopes, as the extra magnification for the longer shots really pays off, especially when the mirage allows as in the morning prior to the heat build up in the afternoon.

For a coyote rifle consideration of either of the scopes you are considering, I'd go 4.5-14X, for bench or bipod squirrels., If you have a sporter weight barrel, I'd go with the lower power for coyotes. My Kimber shown has what they call a "heavy sporter" barrel. It's really not intended for prolonged bench, high volume shooting, but sort of a compromise bench/walkabout rifle, and that's why I chose the lower power at the low end of the scale. During the day when shooting Skippy with my bench guns, I find myself using 14X alot anyway because of mirage, so you may just want to consider that and go with the lighter, shorter 4.5-14X, as it will probably serve you quite well, especially for coyotes with squirrels thrown in occasionally.

For coyotes, the 4.5X at the low end is about right.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Post by Wiiings12 »

The groundhogs are FINALLY back out, and now that I can drive myself around I have been getting out a lot more. I gotta say, this Nikon I have is AMAZING. The adjustments are accurate and I can see a whole lot more than I use to. I am overall extremely happy with the performance of my monarch. Already taken down 7 hogs this week! Thanks for the help everyone!
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Post by varget204 »

check poorfish .com ;they have some of the lowest prices. way less than about anyone. I saved $200.00 + on a bushnell elite 4200 8-32x40 .varget204
Last edited by varget204 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Here's a link to Poorfish.com that will work for you:

http://www.poorfish.com/

I know nothing about their pricing, but tried "poorfishoutdoors.com" and that URL wouldn't work, but the one above does.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox