Leupold V-X II

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Leupold V-X II

Post by darchell »

Any opinions on this scope. I have a Nikon Monarch on my rifle now but I stole this from another rifle in my safe. I will be getting a new one for my 204 and was looking at the Leupold V-X II ,6-18X40 with the Long Range Duplex Varmint reticle. Any thoughts, opinions or ideas. I looked at the Bushnell 4200 also which is what I was debating between. The deciding factor was that I have read a few times that there is not as much adjustment in the Bushnell as the Leupold. Also the Leupold has humans that answer the phone and actually help you. This is something that you don't get that often anymore. Can't say if Bushnell has this feature or not.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Re: Leupold V-X II

Post by Lenard »

darchell

I have 7 Leupolds, a B&L and a Burris. I have never had a nickels worth of trouble with any of them. I believe that the best scope of the whole bunch, is the B&L, manufactured by Bushnel. Some of my Leupolds are from the mid 60's. Part of them have had a lot of hard miles on them and still look almost new. You pay extra for the Leupolds because of the service. I also have one of the dreaded Tasco variable with target knobs, via BDC and have used it hard. Nary a bit of trouble with it. Most of the scopes, except for the $100 variety will serve the purpose on a varmint rifle. As long as the glass is clear and bright and the adjustments are good, I will use them. I think it all depends on how much money you want to spend.

Lenard
darchell

Post by darchell »

The B&L scopes you are speaking of, they are the Bushnell Elite series correct?
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Yes, They are the ones where Bushnel just bought B&L. The model I have, a 6-24 is by far the best I have. Could have bought a used one like new at a recent gunshow for $225, but I am scope poor right now.

Lenard
darchell

Post by darchell »

PM Sent to Lenard
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Darren: Not sure, but I believe the B&L Lenard mentions is actually the old Balvar line of scopes from Basch & Lomb...very good glass.

On the other hand, the VX-2 scopes are the old VX-II's, which at one time were their Vari-X III's...the older line, and their top dog at one time (other than their MK-4's). They are very good scopes all around; I have a bunch of them on different rifles from hunting rifles to varmint guns, all are bright and box very well as far as repeatablilty goes.

This is a VX-II 6-18X on my Sako Vixen .17 Mach IV...pure death on Skippy (Mc Millan stock/Shilen barrel/Timney trigger).

The old Balvars are probably better glass if you can find them these days. Look on Leupold's website for amount of elevation & windage adjustments on these scopes if needed, but I've never needed more than the scope offers on any varmint rifle I own. The best part is that they are available.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

i have the same scope you are considering on my Howa 204, with LRV reticle, customized for my 32 gr. vmax loads, also does real well with my 39gr blitz king load. and i have the same scope on my 223, with LR reticle.
I have to agree with Rick, the VXII is a very good scope and is their old VXIII. I would buy more leupolds if i need another scope. I don't have as many scopes as a lot of guys, but all of what i own are leupolds. more than 6. Get the scope you are considering and don't look back!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
darchell

Post by darchell »

futuretrades, how does one get the reticle customized to their load? Are you refering to getting a new reticle put in or just that you documented the range eetc. for your load?

Darren
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Darren: There are hree ways to tailor the scope to your load:

1. Send the scope to the factory Custom Shop with your load data and get a custom laser engraved target or M1 turret installed.
2. Have the factory Custom Shop install a custom reticle with your load data applied with reticle dots.
3. Save the money and make up your own "come-up" chart for your exact load. This works best with either a target or M1 elevation turret installed at the factory.

If you have a custom dial or reticle installed, it then limits you to effectively using only the load that was supplied to the factory. This is the reason I use the M1 or target elevation turret with my own "come-up" charts taped to the ocular flip cover of the scope. It allows you to make up a different chart for different bullet weights or brands, or significant changes in elevation or temperature of areas you may hunt. This has worked well for me for many years, and effectively makes each rifle and load combination "dead-on" for first shot hit probability almost every time.

This shows the info on my Sako 75 Varmint 204 for both the 32gr SBK and the 39gr SBK out to 600 yards, marked in MOA to match the M1 elevation, marked in .25 MOA:

In the field, it takes about five seconds to range w/LRF, acquire target, shoot. Fast, easy, and best of all, cheap. It really works, and gives you hits at ranges on small targets you never thought possible. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

darchell

Post by darchell »

so a come up chart is essentialy alist of how many clicks are needed at each range. For example, I am dead zero at 100 yards, at two hundred yards need three "clicks" up. Am I on the right track?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yes you are. You'll need a decent ballistics software setup and a chronograph in order to make the charts, but it only takes a few minutes to do once you've got your raw data from the range.

Here's a better look at the chart for the Sako 204:

I've been using the system on my game and varmint rifles for years, and once you try it, you'll wonder how you ever hit anything past 350 yards in the past.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Rick........according to your come up chart your 6.15 moa at 500 yards for a 39 gr head at your specific altitude. You scope still gives you 15 moa for 1 complete turn of your elevations turret........yes??
Yep I do agree about liking those M1 dials....just click up and shoot.
Love your chart in the scope cap.......Way to go!
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray: You are correct on both counts. Our primary "squirrel ranch" sits at 4,500' altitude, so my come-up chart is tuned to my load at that altitude, but we have to take a general stab at the temperature, as it varies from early morning to mid-day of course. I doubt I'll ever take a laptop or palm pilot into the field for exact equations, as that would take the fun out of it. We're 'techie' enough using the charts, but they sure do work.

The chart in the scope cap idea is not mine; it came from an operator friend currently serving in 'Ashcanistan'. I greatly prefer the chart to be stashed in the scope cap, as opposed to being pasted somewhere on the rifles stock, ruining the 'fungshwe' of the rig. It is easy to see from the shooting positon, and you don't have to take your eyes from the scope to check the chart as you would if it was pasted to the side of the stock. For our operators in theater, combat requires you to range and engage as soon as possible, and this system works perfectly the way it was intended.

M1 Adjustment: If I had my druthers, I'd send all my varmint scopes back to the factory for this modification. Much more robust than the older target turrets, and lower overall profile to boot. I love "Dial-A-Rat"! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I have a old turretless 2.5-8 Bausch & Lomb Balvar 8A made in Rochester New York. Here's a few pics of the B&L. It's clearer than the pictures show because of the fog and rain today. It's a nice scope( I love the tapered crosshairs) But it's not even close to the clarity of a Bushy Elite or Leupold. I would like to send out the old B&L for a good cleaning inside and out. Anybody know who does this?? My favorite oldie is my Redfield wide view. It's crystal clear!
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition