Scope doublers

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Scope doublers

Post by Lenard »

Just wondering if any of you have tried any of the products on the market. I bought a 10X leupold in about 1968. It is by far one of the clearest scopes I have, but at times would like more power. It is mounted on a Mini Mauser 223.

I see that Bulzeyepro makes one and they are quite inexpensive. I would like to hear of your experiences and thoughts.

Lenard
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: Scope doublers

Post by surfclod »

That is a really interesting item, I too would be interested in such an item if it works as claimed.

My 6-18 Leopold VX-II is enough magnification for teaching Skippy to perform acrobatics, but when I am at the range I would like a little more magnification to see my bullet holes. On a good day with Shoot-n-See type targets I can see holes at 200 and sometimes 300 but not always. An optical doubler would be handier than a spotting scope.

If you get one Lenard please write up a review as I am sure interested in this item
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I would be interested in an evaluation as well....

The 'entry' levels are 2.5 and 3.0x and the higher power are more expensive and I'd be interested as to how much distortion, if any, shows up on the higher ranges of the scope power..

It's been my experience that once you go higher than 18x, you tend to start getting some distortion due to light loss, mirage, etc...but then, I don't have the really expensive scopes either..
AR
Factory/Factory
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

In regard to optical doublers, I've used these on 35mm cameras in past years, and found one thing paramount to remember; no matter what high quality lens you are using, such as Nikon lenses as an example, the doubler must be as good or better quality, or the image seen through the lens is degraded and/or less quality than what you started out with.

I'd be very suspect of any of these, but if you take the plunge, make sure the doubler is of very high quality glass from a known maker you're familiar with, or you may not be pleased with the outcome.

I've seen one such unit advertised in Precision Shooting Magazine. Considering that publication is the darling of the BenchRest crowd, that one may be the item to consider.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I agree with you totally regarding the camera applications... I have an older Nikon FA with a bunch of lenses and some 2x & 3x 'doublers' for surveillance work.... As long as I remember that I lose a lot of 'f' value, they work pretty well...

That would be my concern with the higher power settings on a scope.
AR
Factory/Factory
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

The only one I have come across is the one listed above. They must be pretty confident of their product as they have a 100% satisfaction refund. The only limitation is it must be shipped within 45 days.

Their site is Bulzeyepro.com
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

A fellow on another forum told of his experience with one of the Bulzeyepro ones.

This is his only problem with it
Big problem is that, on some scopes, you can't adjust the eyepiece focus to have both the reticle and image in focus. This also means you just can't take it off and shoot. You have to readjust the reticle focus with and without so not something I would use in the field.
For myself I can live with this as I would adjust the scope as needed with the booster on it. Then when my range time is over I can return it to my regular settings for varminting. This will be cheaper and simpler than mounting a second target scope like a T-36 or such (Something I had considered).

I just got a response from Jay to confirm that they ship to Canada so I think I will order one in the morning, just have to decide on what magnification and lens grade to go with.

Being that it has to cross the border it may be a while before I put it to the test but I will put up a bit of a review when I get it.

Thanks for pointing this product out.