New Scope

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Re: New Scope

Post by Wiiings12 »

Ok, I have been looking all over creation and have narrowed it down to a few different models. I am at a complete stand still here as well, so I REALLY need someone to help me out here! :wall:

Leupold VX-III 6.5-20
Leupold VX-III 4.5-14

Nikon Monarch 4-16
Nikon Monarch 6-24

Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16
Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 -- I kinda think this (and the Nikon) look WAY to cheap.. I know others say different, but I can't help but think it would cost more to make a decent scope of that power.

I don't really want to purchase new mounts, so I am trying to keep everything on LOW MOUNTS. (just something to keep in mind)
Thanks everybody,
-Graham
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

You could go with a lower power variable. Leupold has a vxiii 3.5-10x40. Since you said most shots are only out to 200yds., you really don't need to dial in bullet drop. But you can have them put on an elevation turret at Leupold if you want.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Graham: Most here know I'm a biased and loyal Leupold shooter. That said, for what you want to do with your particular rifle, I'd recommend the 4.5-14X with the 40mm objective. This will allow mounting in your low 1" rings and just clear the barrel.

If you go with the Long Range version of that scope, it will have a 30mm main tube, then you'll need new rings, but gain more elevation travel. I'd also get the scope with their excellent Varmint Hunter Reticle for easier longer range holding without dialing.

The other scopes you've got listed are all good, but being a Leupold only kinda guy, that's my advice for what it's worth. One thing to keep in mind though, is that Leupold has the absolute best warranty in the business, hands down, and the only Custom Shop also, that offers much cool stuff for their scopes, including reticle change, finish, and others that all have a very quick turn-around time.

You can see the scope I'm talking about mounted in low rings if you want by checking my post on my new Kimber 204 ("New 204 in the Stable") a few pages back. I't a great general pucpose scope, having a good lower power for coyotes, and enough power in the upper range to snipe prairie dogs or ground squirrels to about as far as you'd ever try to shoot the critters.

Let us know what you end up with; good luck with the project. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Thanks Rick, I think I am really leaning towards the Nikon Monarch 4-16X42. I really like everything Nikon has done with it. I Think that Leupold is just selling their warranty to be honest. I have heard from several others that the Monarchs are neck and neck with the VX-III's and they are about 100 dollars cheaper in most cases. They also have a decent lifetime warranty. Not to mention the side parallax adjustment on the Nikon. I would also be getting a slightly larger field of view. I just think the the Nikon is a much better value. Is there something I have overlooked?
Thanks everyone!!
-Graham
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Graham: Get the scope that appeals to you the most, as you'll likely have it and use it for many years, but remember that Leupold's warranty is legendary....for good reason, and the folks who poo-poo it are usually not Leupold owners. Remember you get what you pay for, and the best "deal" now, does not necessarily make it the best choice. Nikon makes very good scopes and other optical equipment, no doubt about it. I own some of their bino's and a digital SLR camera, but when it comes to scopes, well, you know where I stand. In just over 40 years of using their products, I've never had a single negative experience with Leupold.

I have a friend who leaned his rifle up on the rear passenger side tire of his truck in elk camp. About a half hour later he backed his truck up for the evening, and in the process ran over his .338 and Leupold. The scope was toast. He sent it back to Leupold for repair, and in less than two weeks, he had a brand new scope delivered to his home, at no charge whatever, not even for UPS charges. Try that with Nikon.

If you ever wanted a reticle change, have a ding repaired on the tube, repair scratched glass, have a custom elevation dial laser etched for your particular load, good luck getting Nikon to do any of those repairs or mods, let alone replace the scope when it was clearly your fault. By the way all Leupold Long Range scopes have the side parallax adjustment (30mm tubes).

I'm not bad-mouthing Nikon at all, just trying to illustrate why Leupold is the overwhelming choice of American shooters. Add the fact that they are made in the USA..... Remember, we have choices! :D Good luck with whatever you choose.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Can't go wrong with the Nikon. :D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Finally decided upon the Nikon. It should be here some time next week. hopefully I dont need to go out and buy different mounts! Thanks for your help everyone, I really appreciate the advice and whatnot
Thanks!
-Graham
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Graham: Glad you got hooked up with a scope, and a good brand at that. After you get her all set up and mounted, post a pic for us. That 4-16X will give you the best of both worlds; good for coyotes, and also small rodents at long range should you get the opportunity.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Got the scope in the mail today, and I gotta say.. it really puts my Leupold to shame.. There is one thing I saw that is odd to me though, the turrets are not centered! I don't know if this is bad, or good, or what to make of it! it doesn't bother me any, I just hope its not a big deal!

The scope came with a really nice little towel-thing, and some scope caps.

Check out my nice socks too!

here's the crazy part.. I was worried about the objective lens of the scope not fitting on my gun, but as you can see there is plenty of clearance! The thing that almost got me was the eyepiece. The handle on my bolt is SOOOO close to touching it when its open that I can not even get a piece of paper in between the bolt and the eyepice!! but they don't touch! What great luck!

Thanks for the help everyone, I am very pleased with the new scope. The Leupold now sits happily atop an old model 88 Winchester.
Ahab

Post by Ahab »

Wiiings12 wrote:Thanks Rick, I think I am really leaning towards the Nikon Monarch 4-16X42. I really like everything Nikon has done with it. I Think that Leupold is just selling their warranty to be honest. I have heard from several others that the Monarchs are neck and neck with the VX-III's and they are about 100 dollars cheaper in most cases. They also have a decent lifetime warranty. Not to mention the side parallax adjustment on the Nikon. I would also be getting a slightly larger field of view. I just think the the Nikon is a much better value. Is there something I have overlooked?
Thanks everyone!!
-Graham
As an old Leu owner for many years and a new Nikon owner I can tell you today I do not believe they are neck in neck. The Monarch is better than the VX-III. Leupold makes a great scope but other than being able to send their scope in for a reticle replacement or order one with custom features it is overpriced. The Monarch simply has a crisper clearer field of view. :)
NRA Endowment
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Graham: Glad you're happy with the new Nikon. Remember though, that you were comparing a low-end Lupy to a high end Nikon. Regardless, glad you're happy. I hope it gives you many years of good shooting/hunting.

Ahab: As the Monarch's are fairly new, only a few decades of hard use would ever reveal one being superior to the other. I've also done the comparison test, and although the Nikon's did indeed look bright and clear, and being a Nikon camera and bino owner/user myself, my rifle scope choice was, is, and will remain with Leupold, as from 40+ years of hunting from Alaska to Mexico, from freezing fog/rain/snow/sleet from sea level to over 10,000' elevation, to desert temps in excess of 100*F, in dust, dirt, with horses, bouncing around in 4WD's, no Leupold has ever, ever failed me when the shot became available. When Graham's Nikon has passed those personal tests, then he'll be able to say it's a better scope, but not until then. It ain't just all about "crisp & clear"......

No offense implied, just the way I see it from where I sit...... Remember: We all have our own opinions, and that one's mine. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Ahab

Post by Ahab »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Graham: Glad you're happy with the new Nikon. Remember though, that you were comparing a low-end Lupy to a high end Nikon. Regardless, glad you're happy. I hope it gives you many years of good shooting/hunting.

Ahab: As the Monarch's are fairly new, only a few decades of hard use would ever reveal one being superior to the other. I've also done the comparison test, and although the Nikon's did indeed look bright and clear, and being a Nikon camera and bino owner/user myself, my rifle scope choice was, is, and will remain with Leupold, as from 40+ years of hunting from Alaska to Mexico, from freezing fog/rain/snow/sleet from sea level to over 10,000' elevation, to desert temps in excess of 100*F, in dust, dirt, with horses, bouncing around in 4WD's, no Leupold has ever, ever failed me when the shot became available. When Graham's Nikon has passed those personal tests, then he'll be able to say it's a better scope, but not until then. It ain't just all about "crisp & clear"......

No offense implied, just the way I see it from where I sit...... Remember: We all have our own opinions, and that one's mine. :D
Well I beat you on years hunting, 50+, and I've been to all your places and then some, with the same or worse conditions. :wink: Fact of the matter is, I've never had a scope of any brand fail the shot. Guess I'm lucky. Have had some problem's with Leupold's returning to zero though. :P
NRA Endowment
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Hi Daz, whats the definition of Oracle :lol: kb.
' Pay it forward buddy '
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ahab: In that case, I'd say we're both very fortunate! (One old dog to another ;) ) I'm just glad the young lad (Graham) has his new scope, and is all smiles. After all, that's what it's all about!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

[quote="Wiiings12"]There is one thing I saw that is odd to me though, the turrets are not centered! I don't know if this is bad, or good, or what to make of it! it doesn't bother me any, I just hope its not a big deal!
quote]

I'd say no worries. I looked at a couple of Nikon Monarch's yeaterday at the Portland Sportsman Show and they were all off center like yours.

Nice looking rig...

Jim