Scope questions

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
CD82
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

Scope questions

Post by CD82 »

ok i currently have a Remington 700 sps .204 and i love the rifle. shoots nice and ive made one kill with it an. have been very busy i shot a skunk with it. the scope that is outfitted on the rifle right now is a Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 circle plex rectical. now the scope is very nice dont get me wrong i love it. im looking for more zoom and maybe a 44 or a 56 so ive seen some scopes here an there that i like. ive lookd through a millett and liked it the one i seen was Millett 4-16x56 Buck Gold 30mm Riflescope. and it looked very nice was very clear an the way i understand is that bushnell also makes them. form the millet site i seen at the bottom of the page Bushnell outdoors. and have been told the same thing by severl people. now im also looking at a Mueller 8.5-25x44 Tactical Riflescope with milldot a buddy of mine has one. ive not looked through it yet but he says its very very nice says it has an auto focus. im going to try an look through my buddys mueller tomorrow. hes going ot put it on his .223 so whould one of thease scopes be a good choice or what? i can throw 200$ out but thats it. his muller even came with a sunshade im going ot try an get into some coyote hunting again. if life dont stop me lol anyway any suggestions whould be great.
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Re: Scope questions

Post by Ahab »

I have that Mueller on my Savage Model 12 and like it a lot. :D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
CD82
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

Post by CD82 »

yes ive made my decision an the muller is my choice i played with my buddys and really like it.
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I have three Muellers so far and they all have held up well. The 8.5x25 would be GREAT for the 204
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

8.5x25 might be a bit much for coyote hunting. I have 2 Muellers myself and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

CD82: My scopes on all my coyote rifles are 2.5-8X's, and in all the years I've busted coyotes, I've never needed more than 8X, even for dogs waaaay out there at the 400 yard mark. The lower power is used much more from a stand, and with the wide field of view, is indespensible when the action is quick.

I agree that 8.5X is much too much for the low end of a rig that will be used for coyotes. Just an opinion based on 40+ years of hunting, take it for what you paid for it....... :chin:

As you are set on Mueller, look at the models with a lower magnification range at the low end of the scale, as I think you'll be glad later if you go that route.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

I have to agree with what Bergcrane and RIO said. I have a 6-24X that i've used a couple of times for coyotes but never again. You are better off with a 2-7X or 3-9X. Keep it light and fast. Dave
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

RIO and Bergcrain are right 8.5x is too much I use the 3.5-10X vxiii and its perfect for the dogs even the looong shots. Good luck.