Bushnell vs Leupold vs Nikon

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Bushnell vs Leupold vs Nikon

Post by Wiiings12 »

I need to buy a new scope for an old Winchester model 88 in .308. I have a VX-I 4-12 on my .204 now, it has never given me any sign of trouble and is plenty clear for me. I am thinking I will replace the scope on the .204 and put it on the .308. Anywho I am trying to stick in the 350 dollar range for a new scope, I don't need anything higher than a 16 power scope. I saw on someone else's post that they think highly of the elite 3200's. How do these compare with Leupold VX-II's? How does Nikon hold up?
Thanks
-Graham
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Re: Bushnell vs Leupold vs Nikon

Post by Medic52 »

I own 20 scoped rifles all different brands from Mueller, BUSHNELL, TRIJICON, NIKON, BURRIS, ZEISS, LEUPOLD's the price range you want to stay in offers alot of good quality scopes. To answer your question I have two Bushnell Elite 3200's and two Bushnell Elite 4200's. The 3200 is a good scope for the money and I think you would really be happy it. http://www.swfa.com/pc-969-184-bushnell ... scope.aspx this has been GREAT just for you to look at.....
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Ok, I have done quite a bit of looking, and I think I am going to rule out leupold, just too expensive. Here's what I have narrowed it down to (mind you, I still have to go to the local gun store and see what actually is the best)

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8768-2201-nikon- ... scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-13202-185-bushne ... scope.aspx
Taking either of these routes would require me to save a bit longer, but I think it would be money well spent.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-971-184-bushnell ... scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-977-184-bushnell ... scope.aspx

What do you think? Any recommendations?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wiiings: I'll just say get the very best you can afford, even saving a bit longer if necessary. Your eyes deserve the best, especially considering your age (probably perfect eyesight....for now).

As most here know, I'm a long time dedicated Leupold user, having more of them in my safe than you'd ever guess, and considering their warranty, quality, optics and features, not to mention their customer service, you'll never go wrong with one, and can figure it will last you the rest of your life.

Cheaper is not always better when it comes to optics, believe me. There are other brands of very good glass out there too, but again, buy the very best you can afford, or save a bit longer in order to get better glass.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

something else that i have to agree with rio about. i have replaced all of my cheaper glass with leupold, except on 1 of my 10/22's. and that is only because i am saving for another leupold. like you and probably most of us here, the dollar means a lot to us and we all want that dollar to go as far as we can stretch it. you might want to look at optics planets web site. they have some really good prices on most of their scopes including leupold, and if you buy from them, they will ship to you free, so you save a little more.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

If $350 is the max you want to spend. I'd go with the Elite 3200 or Nikon Buckmaster to get the power you want. Both are VERY clear and reliable. The tradeoffs will be Nikon's side focus vs Bushnell's rainguard. What do you want more? Now if I had $700 to spend, I would go with a Bushnell 6500 Elite 4.5-30x50 with mil-dot reticle. They're the perfect scope for that target/varmint rifle, and just as clear as scopes costing twice as much. Mine is going on my .243. Check out http://www.theopticzone.com great prices,service, and good people! If you can, do a side by side comparison and get what YOU like best.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

Yes, If you have all of those choices go to the store and ask to look thru each one and do a side-by-side comparison until you find what you like. That being said my first rifle scope was a Burris signature select and once I compared it to a leupold.......now I own 4 and hopefully 5 soon!!!!....My 2 cents are to save a little long(it is the winter season anyhow---I am not getting to do any shooting....) and LOOK on benchrest.com/classifieds and look on Varminthunters.com go to main forums and then the classifieds. There are quite a few really good deals on those two sites and I get into trouble when I am looking on them b/c I find deals I can't pass up. Good luck. -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Ok, I think am going to go with Bushnell. I have a leupold VX-I now, and I really like it! some people say its not clear and all that, but I see through it wonderfully. That being said, I don't really want to spend every last penny I have on a scope I wont see the difference in. I got a chance to compare a Bushnell Elite 3200 with a Nikon Monarch, and I would have to say the Bushnell was a little sharper. Now the thing I need to decide on is if I want to spend the extra money and get a Elite 4200. I am not use to shooting very high quality guns, as most of them are pretty old, and I am concerned that I will be paying extra for something I don't need/want. Has anyone been able to compare the 3200's with the 4200's?

AND if anyone has any other recommendations on scope brands I'm all ears.

Thanks
-Graham
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I have the 3200 and 4200. They each serve a particular type of hunting. I will say that which ever one you pick should serve you well, and you can always upgrade the gun or if you don't like the scope you well be able to sell them immediately. I have Leupold's VX-II 6x18x40 scope. I took it and a Elite 4200 6x24x40 put them side by side and tried to compare them from 6x to 18x I looked at a different pattern thru both scopes and to MY EYE the Bushnell was the winner. That doesn't mean that the Leupold is any less scope. I just got my first 204 and I finally put a Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24x40 on it also.......your eye is the only one that can pick the best. I hope that you can get them in your hands and look thru both, only one thing standing inside a Bass Pro shop in that artifical light does not HELP either scope.....
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Scopes need to be compared outdoors. My gun shop just happens to be across the street from a large cemetery. Lots of long range reading to do there. It's the perfect place to test and compare scopes. Lucky for me they have hundreds of scopes in stock and trust me to go outside to compare. Very cool!!
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Post by Pydpiper »

I agree with the whole issue about trying the scopes outside, what looks good in artificial light may not be so good in natural light, where it will be used.
The store I bought mine at set up a small table outside and placed 4 decent scopes on it for me to try, that earned them my business.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

I have Bushnells, Leupolds, Muellers, etc also. But I found up getting a good deal on a Sightron SII from LockStock and was very pleased with the glass. http://www.lockstock.com/departments.asp?dept=390
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

The only thing negative about my Bushnell 3200 at this point is that the reticle is quite a bit heavier than on my Leupold. Gary
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Pydpiper wrote:I agree with the whole issue about trying the scopes outside, what looks good in artificial light may not be so good in natural light, where it will be used.
The store I bought mine at set up a small table outside and placed 4 decent scopes on it for me to try, that earned them my business.
Very true, but be sure to set the diopter on each scope for your eye or you will not get an accurate comparison. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society