Scope of choice

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.

Favorite scope

Bushnell
13%
Leupold
37%
Nikon
10%
Muller
1%
Nightforce
19%
sightron
5%
tasco
1%
other
14%

Total votes: 86

Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Scope of choice

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

what is your favorite scope? Sorry if i didnt get all the brands it only allowed 8
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Re: Scope of choice

Post by Verminator2 »

I had to choose Leupold. That's pretty much all I use, but it might change if I ever get a Nightforce.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I chose NF. Just last friday I got my Savage F class 6.5/284 back from Sharp Shooter Supply. I had them true/time the action and glass bed it. It's now one of the smoothest actions I've ever played with. So Friday night I removed my NightForce from my AR and put it back where it belongs on my 6.5/284. The next day I checked the calendar and noticed the second half of our 300 yard prone match season is on the 6th of every month. That's one week from today :eek: :chin: ...... Well.... My NightForce is back on my AR for the match :lol: The NF scope dance continues :lol:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Post by Pydpiper »

I chose Bushnell (6500's), However, I have never had the opportunity to look through a Nightforce.
My unbiased quest to scope my 204 led me to a large shop in London, they had a nice selection of high end scopes to compare. When they realized what I was after they brought a table outside and laid about 10 scopes on it of every quality. The first Leopold that came out of the box was seized up, the zoom dial wouldn't budge. The clerk said "but they have great customer service" and we moved on to the next one. I really liked the ultra fine crosshairs in the Leopold but to my eyes the 6500 was far brighter and offered a lot more features that I was after, 30mm tube, side focus, huge eye relief and Rain-guard. Actually, the clarity of the 6500 compared to the Leopold wasn't even in the same league. I am young, have perfect vision and got to compare them all side by side in an outdoor environment.
The clerk mentioned that the the Leopold sales have slowed since the introduction of the 6500's, except of course for the die hard Leopold "clan" that were accustomed to a scope that was apparently built better than the ones on the shelf today.
I really wanted to be one of the Leopold guys, they are beautiful scopes and carry a bit more pride in owning than a Bushnell, but I wanted this scope to hunt coyotes in a rough, wet environment, and the Bushnell won hands down in a side by side comparison.
Now you guys have me wanting to try a Nightforce. :?
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I'm with Hawkeye. Nightforce rules.
I wouldn't mind looking through one of those 6500's.
The only Loopy I'd ever consider buying is a fixed BR model.
My 8.5X25 VXIII isn't terrible but I'd pay the extra for a NF.

Now, anyone have a March they'd like to send me for testing?

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Jo191145
You need to check out the 6500's. They are one sweet scope. I have a 4.5-30 with mildot reticle. It's clearer than my 35X45 Leupold Competition. I do realize it's only a 30x and a lot of clarity could be lost if 6500 went up to 35x. I don't know about you guys but I could NEVER be a one brand scope guy... There's way too many cool optics out there.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I want a March scope also. I'd sure like to take a look at one before I plop down $2100. I hear that they can resolve a 6mm hole on a target 1000 yards away. I'd sure like to see that.

I voted for NightForce. Best optics I've ever owner, hands down.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Skip: There's one for sale over on GGVG........ :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Funbronco
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

Post by Funbronco »

I voted other. After trying many scopes(some much more expensive) I put a Nikko Stirling 6 x 24 x 56 Nighteater on my 204 For hunting Fox and Coyote hunting at night. Let me tell you this thing is named properly, it is flat awesome when you need to gather light. Then again screw on the sunshade and pick off groundhogs at 400 yards all day long in the bright sunlight.
You really can't beat the value of this awesome scope.
This is so much fun I can hardly stand it!!
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Now that's a really hard question to answer.

Now let me see, Hmmmm.

:chin:
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

I voted Leupold, but I own Sightrons, Muellers (not Mullers), and Bushnells also. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. As long as you use them in that capacity, most any scope is useful.
Dogbone
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Cente Encore

Post by Dogbone »

I love my Nikon Monarch 6x24x50 with fine dot crosshair reticle! :eek:
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

Dogbone wrote:I love my Nikon Monarch 6x24x50 with fine dot crosshair reticle! :eek:
One of my Muellers is a 8.5x25x50. I put it on a 17HRM. Boy, is that sucker fun to shoot!
WYLDRUCKUS
.204 Ruger Guns: REMINGTON VTR

Post by WYLDRUCKUS »

Burris I think should have been a choice so I chose other. I have a 4.5x14x42 tactical on my 204 and love it. My buddy has a Leupold on his 220 swift and that is a really nice scope. I really like my Nikon on my 17 HMR. They are all nice scopes and they all get an atta boy :wink:
HUNT HARD. SHOOT STRAIGHT. KILL CLEAN, AND APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE!
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

Bushnell for a day scope on the 204. I'm being tempted by some of the Nikons, but that is because I can get a discount on them of almost 50%.

Old Weaver K-856s on the low light rifles. They were the last scope Weaver designed and built in the USA, before Olin bought the brand and went over seas for production. They are fixed 8-powers, with a heavy duplex reticle. If I have enough light to walk in the bush, I can see the reticule.