Leupold VX-III

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Leupold VX-III

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

I am looking at getting a Leupold VX-III 6.5x20x50 for another varmint/coyote gun Im thinking about getting. What are your guys opinions on this scope? any problems? thanks for the info.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Leupold VX-III

Post by Hotshot »

I have 5 VXIII's and if my budget would allow I'd probably have about 10 more. I like the 6.5-20 when I'm testing loads and shooting paper targets, but in the field shooting varmints I just love my 4.5-14's with varmint reticle.

I have VXII's, Burris FF & Sig, and Bush Elites which all do good jobs, but it just seems like everything I need a scope to do is covered extremely well by the VXIII's.
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

In my area here in Ga., I think the power is too much for coyotes. I had been using a Bushnell 7-21, mil-dot on my 22-250 (my pd gun), but found it is usually too much magnification. Most of the coyotes I've killed have been moving, and it's too hard to get on target with a lot of power. I do have a VX-III 6-20x40 varmint reticle on my .204 pd gun. I converted my ar-15 to a coyote gun and put a 3-10 Bushnell on it, works great. However, in your area, the VX-III may be just right.
ImageImage
brokeasajoke
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem VSSF II .204 VX-III 8.5-25 side focus tgt dot

Post by brokeasajoke »

Love my vx-III 8.5-25. As a matter of fact never looked through a big L that i didnt like. They seem to stand behind their warranty too somtimes even when it was not a defect in the scope but just user stupidity.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I have had a VX-III in 6.5-20x40mm long range side focus scope on my .204 Ruger since June of 2004. I have the wide duplex on mine and I can honestly say I haven't lost a coyote because I had too powerful of a scope on it. There may come a day when I'll have one get too close and can't crank the power down low enough, but I'll take that chance. I guess I could always move my sighting eye alongside the barrel instead of looking through the scope. I will admit that moving coyotes are a little more difficult to find if you have the power ring cranked up. That is why if I have even the faintest notion that a coyote is going to be impossible to stop, I have my power ring cranked all the way down to 6.5x. Most of my coyote shots are at least 50 to 75 yards away and quite a few of them are in the 100 to 200 yard range. I also use this rifle for prairie doggin' in the summer.

The 6.5-20x fits my needs just right. I have a VX-III in 6.5-20x40mm long range side focus scope on my Pac-Nor barreled .17 Remington too. That scope has the fine duplex. Both scopes are great for both paper punching and for varmints/predators.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Great scope, buy it and be happy, pass it on to your kids, they'll be happy. Gary
heikki02003
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV

Post by heikki02003 »

I love mine (VXIII 6.5 X 20 X 50).
Last edited by heikki02003 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle
brokeasajoke
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem VSSF II .204 VX-III 8.5-25 side focus tgt dot

Post by brokeasajoke »

Good looking rig u got there. I like that loading port.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

Well i picked one up today. :D
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Good move. As I get older the lesser quality scopes really show me how old my eyes are.
Out in the field I get terrible eye strain without premium lenses. I have over the years had good service from many brands of scopes and I don't knock any of them. I just can't use them any more without suffering. You'll never be sorry you bought a VXIII!
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

For what it's worth! I'll take the 6.5/20/50 LR Leupold. I have a 4.5/14/50 LR Leupold and this doesn't have the ring spacing length like it's bigger brother. The 6.5/20/50 LR is much easier to mount on a rifle, short or long action.
Hope this helps.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

My only complaint with Leupold is they exaggerate the magnification a bit. Take any Leupold with 14x and compare it with any other company's 14x, and there is quite a difference. Heck, I have a cheap Bushnell on my muzzleloader that's a 12x and the image is bigger than the Lupey. That's my ONLY complaint though. Other than that, I'd gladly buy many more of them.