What type of reticle do you prefer?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Jersey Hunter

What type of reticle do you prefer?

Post by Jersey Hunter »

What type of reticle do you prefer for hunting? I have a 6x20 scope with fine cross hairs that I'm having trouble seeing in the field. I have found a vender who will replace with a larger dot and I'm not sure if I will like the dot better then cross hairs that I'm more familiar with.
Barry
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: What type of reticle do you prefer?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

If it's a Leupold, I don't think there's a better reticle out there than their Varmint Hunter Reticle (VHR). The factory will replace it for $110, turnaround right now is two weeks.

I've got about six or seven of my varmint scopes set up with the VHR, and even for our small ground squirrels, the reticle is easy to see in the field, not too busy, and does not obscure a rat out to 600 yards. The windage 'ticks' alone are almost worth the price of admission.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: What type of reticle do you prefer?

Post by Hotshot »

I used a 1/4 minute dot for 40 years and loved it for gopher and prairie dog shooting. Still have a couple scopes with that reticle and I do okay using them.

I now use the VHR and I really shoot better with it. I also have a couple of Burris scopes with balistic mildot reticle that serve me well. I really like the reference points for follow up shots, and like RIO said the VHR has reference points for windage too.

Some companies will install a series of dots on a cross hair for reference, and some will fine tune those dots to your load and cartridge. Lee and Premier are a couple of those companies as well as the Leupold custom shop. The most important thing to me is keep the reticle as fine as you can use, so it doesn't cover up too much target at long ranges on small critters.