Target scope compairison under 600.

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
82boy

Target scope compairison under 600.

Post by 82boy »

I been looking to buy a new Target scope,under $600. I have brought my choices down to two. The Weaver T36 and the Sightron bix sky 36x44. Both with a fine cross hair. What do you like better? Is the sightron worth the extra dough? Thanks guys
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Target scope compairison under 600.

Post by Rick in Oregon »

82: In that price range, you're in Leupold VX-II country. I'd consider a 4-12X or 6-18X Leupold VX-II, as you can add sunshades, target knobs if wanted, and then also get the absolute best warranty in the business.

Nothing wrong with either brand you're considering, but for what you will spend, you can get the recognized best brand out there for the same money. ("Best" being relative, I'm not including NF, Zies, Leica, Sworo here because of the huge price difference....)

You did say 'target' scope, but if you will also use this scope for varmints, you will not want a 36X scope, trust me.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

82boy

Post by 82boy »

No varmit hunting, this will be used for 600 and 1000 yard benchrest shooting so a min power is 36, the leupolds you have mentioned are too low, also I dont want a varible power scope. A 36x leupold is way way out of my price range.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

FWIW, a BR shooter of some reknown, who I work with, uses a boosted Weaver T-36, as he claims the Leupolds simply don't hold zero well enough for his needs. He's also got a couple of the Sightrons rebuilt with something like the Burris Posi-Lock, but he seems to like his Weavers better.
I know a lot of guys who really like their T-24s and T-36s. When you figure in weight and some other factors, they seem to be really good.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!