Scope height question

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
mriddell
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700

Scope height question

Post by mriddell »

So I just picked up a Leupold 3x9 50 Rifleman scope for my .204 Remington 700. The scope touches the barrel slightly when sitting in the rings (Leupold dove-tail medium .770 rings). I'm talking very lightly. Gap between front ring and scope could be measured in microns (bout as thick as a Zig-Zag) and it's not cranked down. I'm thinking there should be zero contact between scope and barrel and I need to go buy new rings in the AM. But my wallets still smokin a little from the scope, and I don't want to buy anything unneccesarily. Someday I'll look back at my first post and :roll: but I appreciate the help.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Scope height question

Post by Hotshot »

Only alternative to taller rings would be to shim the ones you have. You don't want the scope touching that's for sure. Most auto supply or shops that do machine work would have shim stock available. Cut to fit the bottom half of the ring and add for height untill your scope clears.
mriddell

Post by mriddell »

:idea:

I remember now, weeks ago, somewhere, someone, recommended using soda cans to make shims. Lol. Thanks for jogging my memory, Hotshot.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

home made shims can be made out of just about any thin metal. or you can do one better and go to your local gun shop and buy some leupold shims that would go under your mounts. shiming under the ring will work, but you need to be very careful not put the scope in a bind with uneven pressure. IMHO, the best thing to do would be to spend the 20 or 25 bucks on a pair of high rings and be done with it. heck your gun shop may even give you something in trade for the rings that are not high enough. i have bought 2 sets of used rings for scopes at different times and you would not know unless i told you they were used.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
mriddell

Post by mriddell »

Thanks for the advice but the aluminum shims worked perfectly. I was a little worried about scratching the scope but I'm going to <gasp> paint it anyway. ;) Now that it's complete I can get some bench photos.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

I like pictures......and maybe throw in some of the process of putting it all together! And pics of how it shoots. -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Yotecallr
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by Yotecallr »

I had the same problem with my rifle, but i used a cut piece of credit card under the base. It has worked perfect for over a year. :wink:
Only accurate rifles are interesting....
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I wish my wife would do that with her credit cards!
ulen mn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by ulen mn »

Hotshot-

Maybe its time to graduate to jump school there in Missoula rather than being a hotshot member if your handle represents your occupation you know the CAN DO attitude..
Rick AKA Ulen MN
NRA Life Member
varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: want to..... Savage /stevens

Post by varminter »

IMHO For Varmint hunting a 40mm tube would be fine.