Can not see cross hairs

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Jersey Hunter

Can not see cross hairs

Post by Jersey Hunter »

I have a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20 fine crosshair with dot, I can not see the cross hairs in many lighting conditions. I purchased this scope mainly for varmint hunting and have found the fine cross hairs unsatisfactory. My question is, I'm I better off selling scope and purchasing one with different cross hairs or try sending it back to the factory and have the cross hairs changed?

Thanks,
Barry
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Can not see cross hairs

Post by Rick in Oregon »

JH: I'm' not sure if Meade Optical, the new makers of the Weaver line of scopes will change a reticle or not; you'll have to inquire to them on that one. You may be better off selling it and buying one with a more field-suitable reticle.

The fine cross-hair w/dot reticle is intended for target shooting only, so as you've found out, is not suitable for field conditions. Before getting rid of it though, have you tried losening the ocular bell, unscrewing it as you look up at a clear sky, and rotate it until the crosshairs become completely crystal clear? It may only need proper focusing to be usable in the field for varmints.

I'd try that before sending it down the road for replacement....you may just get lucky.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jersey Hunter

Re: Can not see cross hairs

Post by Jersey Hunter »

[/quote]Before getting rid of it though, have you tried losening the ocular bell, unscrewing it as you look up at a clear sky, and rotate it until the crosshairs become completely crystal clear?
I'd try that before sending it down the road for replacement....you may just get lucky.[/quote]

It didn't help, Rick thanks.
Barry