Nightforce VS. Leupold

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
majcl5

Nightforce VS. Leupold

Post by majcl5 »

I want to buy a new scope for Pds which one?
Last edited by majcl5 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Nightforce VS. Leopold

Post by acloco »

How far to you plan on shooting?

I shoot prairie dogs to 800 yards and set my scope at 16 or 18 power (nikko stirling 6-24x56 mildot).

Look for FINE crosshairs and mildots.
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

You might take a look at the Leupold VX-lll 6.5-20 with the varmint hunter reticle - got one on my new 204 and very pleased with it.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I do not own a Nightforce, however one day I hope to. I have a VX-III 6.5x20 w/ the CPC reticle on my .204 for pdogs just giving you an eye to shoot at. I love my new VX-L 6.5x20x56 varmint hunter reticle also, thought at first the reticle might be too busy.......but once you look through it you will love it. So far only punched paper w/ the varmint hunter but it is on my LRPV for this years hunt. It is very fine and Acloco is right...you want something with FINE hairs.
So I second a Leupold w/ the varmint hunter. Both have given me kills out to 500yds. Let us know what you pick!
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

majcl5 wrote:I want to buy a new scope for Pds which one?
They're both excellent scopes, so you won't make a poor choice either way. IMHO, the Nightforce (BR or NSX) is better than the Leupold VX-III. I don't think many people would argue that statement. The real question is whether the NF is several hundred dollars better than the Leupy. That's something only you can decide.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Can't comment on Nightforce as I've never seen one :chin: , but I can say that I'm very happy with my Leupold VX-III 6.5-20 with the varmint hunter reticle. :) Leupold's warranty is outstanding and as you know they are built 20 miles from your home. (keep the jobs in Oregon) :idea: But in the end it's really up to you and your budget so go with what makes you happy and don't look back. Gary
Last edited by Captqc on Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

i went with a VXll 6-18x40 AO and customized the reticle for my 204. went with a mil-dot, long range. don't know about Nightforce, but if you want, you can customize a Leupold. just go to Leupolds web site and check out the scopes that can be customized. and, may i suggest a scope that goes up to at least 18 power, just in case you need that much magnification.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
ulen mn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by ulen mn »

Gary how come your weapon looks level or close to it and your scope is canted to the right??? :eek:

Just hacken on you buddie I know it is probly just the picture angle. :lol:

majclr go with what YOU think is the better of the two when you look through them. I personally have not looked through a nightforce as of yet but love the quality and warrenty that leopold offers and as gary said why not keep the money local??
Rick AKA Ulen MN
NRA Life Member
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Thinks Guys For the info I dont now if i can resit the 12x42 power of the night force
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Nightforce VS. Leupold

Post by Rick in Oregon »

majcl5: You and I both know that both scopes are excellent optical devices. The question is, do you feel the extra $500 or $600 involved is worth it for the NF over Leupold? As I'm certain this will be used only for PD's and/or ground squirrels, is the extra money justified?

Of course in the end, YOU are the deciding factor. I've shot PD's with a NF on both 223's and 6.5-284's in Wyoming, and can attest to their quality. BUT, and it's a big BUT, I personally don't think they're worth almost double what a Lupy costs for shooting rodents, and I'm a pretty picky bugger and perfectionist, and take my rat shooting very seriously.

One major thing to consider with the 42X NF is that on the open prairie, you'll seldom if ever be able to use 42X! Mirage, wind and conditions just don't allow that high of scope power. I've very seldom even been able to use 20X on my Lupy's on PD's, the mirage is so bad. Why spend all that money for power that is for shooting bench rest matches, and not even usable in the field under the usual conditions? Use some common sense here, unless you have money to burn.

I've shot PD's in Montana well past 800 yards using my old 6.5-20X 1" tube Vari-X III on my .243 Ackley in addition to the 6.5-284 mentioned above, and in all honesty, I just can't see the extra money is justified for the performance given. Add in the Lupy warranty and custom shop service, close to home, and to me at least, it's a no-brainer. But again, it's your money and your decision. You could buy alot of reloading components and fuel for that extra money....... :chin:

Using NF on a water-cooled 6.5-284 in Wyoming on PD's:

Score at 841 yds on an unlucky PD in Montana - .243 Ackley Improved Holland rifle:

My Sako 204R here at home on squirrels......I'm just not sure how much better a NF could be for this over the new 30mm Lupy Long Range scopes....not worth it to me at least.

Once you've blown your wad, let us know what you ended up with.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I went to sportsmans and there was only $200 between them the leupold was around 1000 and the nightforce was 1200. It was the top leupold and the lower noghtforce with 1/8 moa which was 400 bucks cheaper than the 1/4 moa . There were a bunch of models to chose from and i am still researching and SAVING MY MONEY Thanks Rick.

ps we were heading over east your way this weekend but the weather scared us off The farmer we have contact with said 50 mph winds saturday. Maybe next weekend
acloco

Post by acloco »

ulen mn wrote:Gary how come your weapon looks level or close to it and your scope is canted to the right??? :eek:
Probably means that I mounted the scope! :)
acloco

Post by acloco »

THIS is how the windshield in my pickup was broken!!!! Percussion from a 270!!!

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

maj: I'm glad you're doing your homework and not buying impulsively. Either way, that's a lot of cash. For either scope though, check prices at SWFA in Texas - http://www.riflescopes.com and I'll bet they beat Sportsman's prices, they always have in the past. I know those guys well, they have my benches, and they do their best to offer the lowest prices. They are dealers for both Lupy and NF.

We're headed out for a 4-day shoot ourselves, leaving at o-dark thirty this coming Thursday morning. The weather is supposed to be better, and the rancher tells me that the rats are up. Good luck on your quest over this way too, I hope we both get a good shoot. :D

Be sure to let us know what scope you come up with. Remember that Leupold's custom shop can set your scope up any way you want it. I love their M1 (military) elevation adjustment for "dial-a-rat", along with the Varmint Hunter Reticle. The best of both worlds. ;) Maybe we'll see you guys over there......

acloco: I gave up shooting from the hood many years ago....I got smarter too. I'm a dedicated colony rodent bench shooter now, unless I mount my bipod and take a walkabout. On the trip shown, we had a great 'war wagon' shooting trailer, only one guy used his hood, and he was lucky on that trip......went home with his windshield intact......that time.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

majcl5,

How much do you want to spend? I seen one of these in action and for dial a critter shooting it don't get much simpler (you still have to dope the wind).

Of course come-up charts are pretty simple and a bunch cheaper.

http://www.barrettrifles.com/optics_bors.aspx