Leupold & Nightforce Endorsement by IBA/Blackwater

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Leupold & Nightforce Endorsement by IBA/Blackwater

Post by Rick in Oregon »

For those that follow or have a history of military sniping doctrine (that crosses over to varmint/big game shooting), it will be no surprise that Iron Brigaid Armory, the outfit run by Roy and Rocky Chandler, both experts on sniping, authors of many books, and the trainers of "trainers" at Blackwater and their own sniping school, have endorsed both Leupold and Nightforce as "the only scopes that will box perfectly" and suitable for our military and LE snipers. (And the only two brands of scopes currently used by SOCOM, USMC, USN, and USA for combat sniping applications.)

Boxing of course is the technique of shooting a group, dialing right, down, left, and up to form a perfect "box" of ten shot groups at extended range. They have tested virtually every brand of scope currently available, and these two are the only ones that passed all rigorous tests that IBA subjects them to.

The Chandler brothers are both combat sniping veterans of WWII, Korea, and later Vietnam, and considered to be the two most authoritive experts in the country on the art of the sniper. Their outfit, Iron Brigard Armory is the entity responsible for the development of the new XM3 sniper rifle discussed here in another post. They have been traning snipers since 1953 via the military and IBA (the outfit that trains all Blackwater snipers).

There is a very interesting piece in this month's Precision Shooting Magazine discussing what works for sniping, in terms of magnification, reticles and scopes in general. There is also another piece by Bill Jourdan discussing a varmint (PD) shoot using all the currently available calibers, plus a few popular wildcats during a recent trip to Wyoming. It will be of no suprise that of all the calibers used during this five day affair, attended by five of his buddies, all former BR shooters and rifle loonies, the 204 Ruger came out as the most useful and practical caliber for use at all typical ranges encountered by PD shooters. Of course, we here already knew that, right? ;)

As the scope is the other third of the "accuracy triangle", I thought other forum members would find this piece in PS very interesting. It's a very informative read to be sure. :D

One of my sons with ghillie and M40A3 in 7.62 here in the desert:

Set up, ready for action (Leupold 3.5-10X Tactical 30mm tube, 40mm Objective, mil-dot on M40A3 w/brake)

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Re: Leupold & Nightforce Endorsement by IBA/Blackwater

Post by Critter »

as "the only scopes that will box perfectly" and suitable for our military
1. Did they disclose if this was a paid endorsement?

2. I guess that means that S&B, Zeiss Military, and others can't build a scope with accurate erector motion.

(What a bunch of unadulterated bovine excrement! No offense to the honorable gentlemen of course.)

Carl Zeiss Optronics also supplies telescopic sights, night-vision devices and auxiliary optics for small arms, as well as binoculars and spotting scopes.

Our telescopic sights are available in two classes, in various versions: telescopic sights for standard weapons such as assault rifles, and telescopic sights for snipers.

Night-sight attachments can be mounted to a variety of handheld weapons, which, combined with a telescopic sight, allow marksmen to shoot accurately at night.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Leupold & Nightforce Endorsement by IBA/Blackwater

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dave: I'm well aware of the brands listed, and have no arguement as to their uses in military circles. I'm just reporting what was said by the Chandler brothers after eight years of extensive testing at their facility in NC. It was not a paid endorsement; they could lhave chosen virtually any brand.

I had a hunch you'd chime in, as your association with USO is well known, but again, I'm just repeating what was printed in the current issue of PS.

They are not saying those are the ONLY two scopes suitable for military service, just that those two are the top picks of the crop for sniper use, IN THEIR OPINION. And we ALL have opinions. The fact that both brands chosen are MADE IN THE USA, and not offshore products could have been a determining factor also. (Yes, yes, I know, most if not all lens come from offshore producers....)

It is documented however, that both Leupold and NF are the two picks by both SOCOM, USMC, USN, and the Army for their sniper scopes. Leupold alone fields eight different models for various weapon platforms from CQB to LR sniping.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails