Nikko Stirling

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Nikko Stirling

Post by Verminator2 »

I saw that acloco and Lee got some Nikko-Stirling night eaters and was wondering if anybody else had them and the pros and cons. I am wanting a 3-9 (3-10 in this case) to put on my HDR for yotes. How do they perform in low light? How do they compare to the VX-I (not including warranty)? And do you know how good the warranty is? Thanks.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
LeeC

Re: Nikko Stirling

Post by LeeC »

After using mine for awhile now, I like it more all the time. It seems to do better in overcast than bright sunlight, but that's at high power, i.e., 32, so usually keep it down to 24 or so. I like the side focus. On identical rifles, I like my Nikko 8-32 better than the Weaver 36T. But then I shoot matches at 2-300 yds. When getting bored, another guy and I have been known to pick off horse flies, sometimes, at the 100 yd. sight-in target. I've no problem with the Nikko for my use.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

I too decided to try the Nikko Stirling scopes since the price points are so attractive. The first one I bought was a 4-16x44. Needless to say, I was very impressed.
I bought the 4-16x44 about 5 months ago and since I have picked up two more 3-10x42. One of the 3-10's currently sits on a Howa .338 Win Mag; the other on a Sako .280 Rem.
I really like the side focus and they are really clear, at least for my tired old eyes. They have a sun shade built into the objective end of the tube. I guess that's a good thing and a
bad thing since you can't put scope covers on the scope.
Since I've owned all three for less than a year, I guess the jury is still out but they look like keepers to me.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
woodog

Post by woodog »

Verminator2 wrote:I saw that acloco and Lee got some Nikko-Stirling night eaters and was wondering if anybody else had them and the pros and cons. I am wanting a 3-9 (3-10 in this case) to put on my HDR for yotes. How do they perform in low light? How do they compare to the VX-I (not including warranty)? And do you know how good the warranty is? Thanks.
I got a Howa/Houge in 22.250 a couple of weeks ago that came as a package from Legacy Sports, Intl and included a 3x9-40 Nikki-Sterling Nighteater scope. I haven't even fired the rifle yet, but was so impressed with the package that I ordered the same deal in .207 WSM which I get to pick up tomorrow. I hope to put some fire through both of them this weekend. The side focus if nice, but I'm not too keen on AO scopes anyway.

Woodog
San Joaquin Sighthounds
Salukis, Whippets and Greyhounds

Home of the 2005/2006 #1 National Open Field Coursing Grehound - Cucuy
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

What are some good sources for the Nikko's? I don't see them in most of the places I've done business with in the past.....thanks,George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

cheaperthandirt dot com.

I buy the 6-24x56 with side focus for $169 (buy the $20 membership - you save that on one purchase).
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Thanks.
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Oops :oops:
Last edited by Verminator2 on Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.