Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-II

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-II

Post by 204Shooter »

I am looking at getting a new scope but I want one with some type of compensating reticle. I want to keep the purchase under $500 if possible. I have narrowed it down to these two scopes. I like the simplicity of the LR Duplex reticle on the VX-II 4-12x40 with adjustable objective. But I really have doubts that the VX-II is worth the money.

However, I have heard really good things about the Nikon Monarachs being worth the money, but I really don't like the reticle. I am looking at the 4-16SFx42.

I was wondering what your thoughts were and which scope you think would be better. Are the lower end Leupolds better than the other manufactures high end stuff? Has anyone used either one of these reticles and do you like them?

Thanks!
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Re: Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-II

Post by Verminator2 »

I haven't used a Nikon, but leupolds warranty is the best there is and their scopes are very clear.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
blkdog

Post by blkdog »

I bought a Nikon 6x18 sf with the bullet drop reticle and took it off because the crosshairs are too thick for small varmints way out there. I also have a Leupy with the varmint reticle and it is great.
If you go with a multiple reticle, make sure the crosshairs are what you want. My 2cents. If you want the best save for a Nightforce!!!! awsome glass and mutiple reticles available.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I've got something like six or seven of the Lupy VX-II's with the fine duplex reticle, and love them all. All are mounted on varmint rifles, and vary from 4-12's, to 6x18's. I would not change a thing, and as Verm2 noted, their warranty is the best in the business.

Another thing to consider, is that if you go with a Leupold, you can send it to them and have both target/varmint elevation or windage turrets installed, and not too likely with a Nikon. Here's a shot of one of my VX-II's that was set up with a target elevation adjustment at the factory after the sale. This is my CZ M452 Varmint in 17HMR with a Lupy 4-12X VX-II:

I'm not a Nikon scope user, so will not say anything about them either way, but the VX-II's ARE worth the money, trust me on that one. :!:

You just can't go wrong with a Leupold. And if the time ever comes to sell it, you will have NO trouble doing so. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

A Leupold VX-II is not a low end scope. Rifleman and VX-I series are lower priced and therefore less features. You would be served well by a VX-II for your rifle. I think Nikon has very good products, but I never met the serious varmint shooter who liked all those circles and junk in their reticle (although we might hear from a few now). Get the Leupold now and hope that Nikon, Bushnell and Burris will someday make better reticles for varmint shooting.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Nikon DOES need to step up to the plate with their reticle selection. The BDC(top photo) is nice on my 6-18 Buckmaster, But as others have stated, The crosshairs are just too thick!! On the other hand, I just picked up a Nikon Omega with the BDC 250 reticle and LOVE it (Bottom photo).Maybe some day a shooter/hunter will aid in reticle development :roll: .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: That's one thing about dealing with Leupold, almost every guy that works there (even the gals) are shooters, so the stuff is designed by, made by, and marketed by shooters, all the way up to Tom Fruectel, their president. He even has two of my benches, one for air rifles in his basement, and one for the field.....they'll all shooters who really care about the product, and their warranty and custom shop services speak volumes. When you buy a Leupold scope, you're getting more than just the scope.

When you're dealing with products made offshore, even for the U.S. market, you don't really know who you're dealing with, nor who designed the product.

Most of the Japanese companies have consultants and marketing types here, but who knows if they are actually shooters. I won't even comment on the stuff that comes from China or Taiwan.....'nuff said...... :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

204Shooter

Post by 204Shooter »

Well, I really bit the bullet and with the blessing of a gracious wife, I got the Leupold VX-L in 4.5-14x50. Good looking scope to say the least!!! This is for my big game rifle so I got the Boone & Crockett reticle.

If ya'll want, I will mount it, shoot it this weekend and let you know what I think. :banana:
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Went all out, huh ;) I'd be interested in a report, what are you mounting it on?
204Shooter

Post by 204Shooter »

I am putting it on a Ruger 77MKII .270 WSM. Hopefully I can show you a picture of it and a big bull elk in about a month!!!
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Good luck with the elk. When does your season start?
204Shooter

Post by 204Shooter »

Opening day is the 15th of September. I can't wait. I am like a little kid at Christmas. Already, I have trouble sleeping. It is a good area, with a high probability of a bull, just don't know how big. I guess I will have to wait and find out.
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Oh you start over a month before us. I'm a little jealous :lol:
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Best of luck to you, Brian! You know the real work starts AFTER you pull the trigger! :mrgreen:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

glenn asher wrote:Best of luck to you, Brian! You know the real work starts AFTER you pull the trigger! :mrgreen:
You got that right Glenn. It's hard work jumping up and down, hooting and hollering. Good Luck, Brian. Take lots of pictures. You know how much we love pictures.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em