Best Tool to hold onto Brass while Neck Turning

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
willyp19
.204 Ruger Guns: REM 700 Custom Predator / Varmint, REM 700 VS

Best Tool to hold onto Brass while Neck Turning

Post by willyp19 »

What is the Best Tool to hold onto Brass while Neck Turning? I have the Sinclair cheap case holder, but I am looking for a sturdy one.

Any help would be appreciated?
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Best Tool to hold onto Brass while Neck Turning

Post by Joe O »

Do you mean the "T" handle case holder?Sinclair also has a locking case holder that takes Lee case holders,and works in a cordless drill.I have both,and only use the "T" handle when turning a few cases.(25).Look at the Forster trimmer with the neck turning attachment,fo something ,not hand held.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

willy: If you're turning just a few cases, the t-handle rigs work fine. But if you're working on a lot of something like 100 cases as I do, you may want to consider a bench-mounted outside neck turning tool like the Forester Joe mentioned.

I've got both, and find myself primarily using the Forester unit, as with working on lots of 100 pieces of brass for rat rifles with tight chambers, I've found it's the only way to go.

Mine set up turning the necks of .17 Mach IV cases:

I usually need to neck turn when forming cases to another caliber, and for two match tight-neck barrels that absolutely require neck turning. The cases come out perfectly every time with this unit, and I don't have sore hands or fingers for three days:

A reminder for some of the newbies.....neck turning domestic brass for factory barrels/chambers is not worth the effort, at least in none of the factory barrels I still have. If you want to clean up 50% of the neck due to neck thickness variations, then better brass may be in order. But you'll seldom see any results on the target from neck turned brass fired from a factory barrel.

For holding brass cases while working on them, look at the Panavise....it swivels 360*, has padded jaws to hold slippery things like brass cases. I use one in my shop, and find it indespensible. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

+1 on RIO's comments, on all points.
ab_bentley
.204 Ruger Guns: 20VT, VTT, 20-222, 20 Thunderbolt, 20PPC

Post by ab_bentley »

Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I didn't like the K&M casing holder and wound up buying a Lee ZipTrim Universal 3-Jaw Chuck that looks like this:

I also purchased their case spinner spindle. This piece screws up into the bottom of the 3-Jaw chuck pictured above and the little teat on the right side fits into my variable speed drill chuck:

I have been very pleased with the way this combination works for me. It holds the casings tightly and it is easy to get the casings in and out of the 3-Jaw chuck.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

I just mount my K & M turnere into a padded vice, chuck the K & M holder into a drill, install case and turn. It's quick and easy. Just don't turn the neck to fast or you'll get a cork screw looking finish on the neck. Sure beats turning a lot of cases by hand.

HTH