Reduced loads and filler

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Reduced loads and filler

Post by Bill K »

I am playing with some reduced loads in the 223 and 22-250 using SR 4759. I am placing some filler i.e. spun cotton to fill and maintain the powder in place. Do any of you do likewise. Seems like, way back, I read where your loads are safer and that you should hold the powder in place. Opinions or suggestions. Thank you guys and gals. Bill K :)
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: Reduced loads and filler

Post by Wrangler John »

I used this product for experimentation www.pufflon.com/newfront.html

My main use was in mild loads of Varget in .45-70 loads with 350 grain cast bullets. It worked well in my 1886 Browning reproductions and also Siamese Mauser. Groups were consistent and quite good but the main difference was barrel leading in the 1886 was greatly reduced. In the Siamese Mauser there was less of fouling difference due to using a double lapped custom match barrel. The stuff is a reddish-tan color, but when it is used the black moly superfine powder comes out on your fingers (wear gloves or wash hands after use). When fired at the bench, a light coating of the tan residue will blow back on the bench and rifle.

Regardless of the cartridge, a load of powder is dispensed, the case filled with Pufflon and the bullet seated.

I tried it in other cases but with most there wasn't enough space to fill for any advantage to be seen. I also used it in 6mm PPC loads after I throated a barrel to seat the long 62 Varmint Grenade bullet 2/3 of the way down in the neck. With denser powders in a 1:10" twist barrel this worked well, but my experimentation was cut short due to time restraints. I'm setting up to finish load development this summer. This filler may lessen throat erosion due to the moly content.

Pufflon shows their load development with the .223 Remington and full power loads so it should work with lighter loads. They tout it with subsonic and reduced loads.
GaCop103
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 110 in 204

Re: Reduced loads and filler

Post by GaCop103 »

A bit OT but......Loading for a Mauser 71/84, I use an old method for holding the powder against the flash hole. I cut a sheet of bathroom tissue into four squares and use a square pushed into place over the powder using a pencil. That has tightened up my groups with a 387gr lead flat nose and a light charge (29 gr) of 3031 powder (1425fps). The smokeless works well in my 1888 Mauser and no messy cleanup like black powder.

Tom