Is This Powder Charging Safe?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
The Reloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS Varmit

Is This Powder Charging Safe?

Post by The Reloader »

Is It Safe To Use The Same Load Data For The Same Weight Bullet But Differnt Style?
Example:24 Grains Of Powder for a 40 Grain V-Max. Now Does This Mean That It Would Safe Or Even Equal to 24 Grains Of Powder for a 40 Grain BR?? Maybe its Only ok if both have same tail and or Made of same Metal?
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Is This Powder Charging Safe?

Post by ryutzy »

I am not an expert on this and I'm sure others will chime in. Here is my opinion: In most situations it would be fine. Manufacturers tend to "make sure there posted Max Loads are safe so they stay on the safe side. Now with that being said, if you are shooting a particular bullet to the max, and want to try a differernt bullet in same grain weight, PLEASE start lower.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

You should be fine with they same powder charge and weight bullet, with the exception of both full metal jacket or the solid brass/copper bullets, these you should reduce the charge with a work back up. Bill K :)
stein
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 ar-15 frankenstein.

Post by stein »

Usually the minimum load is safe. I use 27.5 gr. Of imr 4198. And a cci 400 primer. It shoots sub one inch groups at 100 yards.