Tumbler Media

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
fishy
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Tumbler Media

Post by fishy »

My question is what type of tumbler media do you guys use? All I have ever used is the corn cob media, but was thinking of something different as it seems to get stuck is the cases and I am starting to get really perturbed with it. :wall: Are all the different types of media going to do this?
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Re: Tumbler Media

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

i use walnut media and have been very happy with it. In my experience the walnut media has not stuck in any of my cases. For the best value you can buy a 15 lb bag from Midsouth Shooters Supply for around $9 or you can visit any of the big name pet stores and get a bulk bag of Walnut Litter for about the same money.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I've used both corn cob and walnut media with equally good results. The Lyman jugs of either are a decent deal, but the bulk stuff like Brad above mentioned that Midway sells is probably the best deal for the money.

One caveat I'll mention is to stay away from the walnut media with the rouge impregnated in it. The rouge will build up and harden in the bottom of your cases, thereby reducing internal capacity. It's a real bugger to get out too, most times you don't even know the stuff is in there until you get pressure spikes for no apparent reason.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Hey Rick, thanks for that bit of good news! I just switched to Lyman Red. Why? Just wanted to try something different, DOH!!!!
Jon
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Personally, I have never seen the need to use walnut shell media. I have only used corn cob media with great results. I do add some of Lyman's turbo charger to the media, once in a great while. This stuff helps to add life to your media, and does an amazing job polishing my brass and keeping it looking like new! :wtg:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
The Reloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS Varmit

Post by The Reloader »

Below Is The Media I Use. I Absolutely Love It Except for the fact that the finer one leaves a little dusty residue in the necks which I Brush Out. I Know You said that you dont like the corn cob getting stuck but it does such a nice job the pix below are 3 firings.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

One thing about the media additives/polishes. Be careful how much you add. If you over do it you will end up with the situation that the OP is stating... media stuck in the cases. You'll also end up with a lot of film left on the cases. With too much compound in the mix the media will pack into the cases and basically the kernels bond to each other and don't move around and clean the inside of the cases. Then you end up having to knock the media out.

So, stick to the directions and don't add it too often.
Exhaust

Post by Exhaust »

I use to use walnut/corn cob but I switched to Stainless Steel Media. It was another initial purchase but I would not change a thing!! Since I have switched I've not turned on my vibratory tumbler since, and that was February of 2010!! I would post picks but there is enough on the net to convince you as well. Check out their site!!

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

Good Luck!!
"And that law of the land which is constitutional, supporting that priciple of freedom in maintaining rights and privileges, belongs to ALL mankind, and is justifiable before me." -D&C 98:5-
The Reloader

Post by The Reloader »

Wow Watching The video That it A LONG! Process! I will stick with a no mess Corn Cob Media That really doesnt cost all to much and I get great results. It is a cool Product and might be worth it If there were tumblers that could hold 500-1000 cases for the people who go through A LOT of rounds. But For The Average Reloader I dont see it practicle. Neet Product Tho!
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

The Reloader wrote: Except for the fact that the finer one leaves a little dusty residue in the necks which I Brush Out. ]
If you toss in a used dryer sheet that's been torn into about three strips you won't get the dust and it helps to keep your media cleaner because it wicks up the black residue thus extending the life of your media.

I use corn cob media with a small amount of Nu Finish liquid car polish. Makes for some very shiny and clean brass. All that being said, if I were to do it all over again, I'd go the afore mentioned stainless rods route.
The Reloader

Post by The Reloader »

Dryer Sheets Thanx for the tip! Cant wait till my next batch and see how it works!. Also you think its really really worth going through that cleaning process with the steel? Or do you do A LOT of Cases?
sharptailhunter

I do clean a lot of brass because I shoot a ton of pistol rounds as well. But that's an aside though because I think for pistol brass, even wiping it off is probably an overkill. For my rifle brass though, I don't really care for cleaning the primer pockets. With the stainless media, EVERYTHING including the primer pockets gets cleaned. It really is impressive how well it cleans the brass, not just polishes the outside of it like traditional media.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

Stainless steel is DA BOMB! Cleans an polishes everywhere inside and out (except sometimes a tiny ring at the base of the primer pocket). And the media lasts forever unless you lose it or somebody steals it or a giant electromagnet flies over your house. The only real downside, IMHO, is dealing with the wet brass.
sharptailhunter

Fred_C_Dobbs wrote: or a giant electromagnet flies over your house. The only real downside, IMHO, is dealing with the wet brass.
I hate it when those magnets fly over! It's a well known fact that the SR-71 Blackbird uses such a magnet to read people's minds from great heights above. To thwart such government antics, I ALWAYS wear hats made from aluminum foil. :lol:

My buddy uses an El Cheapo spinning salad washer from Wal-Mart to spin his washed brass dry.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

sharptailhunter wrote:I hate it when those magnets fly over! It's a well known fact that the SR-71 Blackbird uses such a magnet to read people's minds from great heights above. To thwart such government antics, I ALWAYS wear hats made from aluminum foil. :lol:...
I did, too, until I learned first hand they just didn't work. Last time a Blackbird overflew my house, it picked me up by the steel plate in my head and I was stuck to the ceiling for weeks. My family only ever got me down by inviting in the Mexican kids from next door and telling them I was a piñata.