.225 Winchester

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

.225 Winchester

Post by ryutzy »

Does anyone have any experience/tips on this caliber? I've been doing some research on this caliber. I had the opportunity to shoot one a few times. The gun I was shooting is for sale (dont know how much yet). It has a real pretty wood stock on it. It need refinished but I've got the equipment to do that. I was wondering how barrel/case life/case stretch is on this caliber. I assume that barrel life would be decent as this caliber was intended to outperform the .220 swift as far as barrel life goes. Apparantly the 22-250 (which was already becoming popular) came out the following year so the .225 never gained a large following. The last year that the .225 was factory produced was in 1971.

Any experienced thoughts/opinions?
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: .225 Winchester

Post by Bill K »

I will offer some info, from what I know or have heard. The 225 will shoot right alongwith the 22-250. The brass is pretty strong and works in many of the single shot rifles well due to the rimmed case. I have used the 225 case reformed into 257 JDJ ammo in a TC Contender carbine.
Case life is really good, I neck size mostly, and it is a good case to work with.
If you are looking for a rimmed case, to shot along the lines of the 22-250, then it would be a good choice. Goggle 225 Win and read about it, especially comparing it to the other larger case .224s. Bill K :)
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Thanks Bill. I did do quite a bit of reading on it. I got to shoot the gun a few times and it peaked my curiosity. I dont plan on buying one at this time, but I learned a few things in my research. It was interesting and worth the time.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

IIRC, only downside is the semi rimmed case. Better to size off the datum line of the shoulder after the brass is fireformed and it will last a long time.