6mm Rem+70gr BT+superformance results

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
mcseal2
.204 Ruger Guns: building one

6mm Rem+70gr BT+superformance results

Post by mcseal2 »

I just got to try the pound of superformance powder I bought in my 6mm Rem yesterday. Their factory data listed a max load of 54gr with a 70gr Sierra at 3812fps so I worked up to that charge with the ballistic tips I had. I shot 2 three shot groups with the max load that stayed under 3/4", 5 of the 6 went into 1/2". The average velocity of the 6 shots was 3824fps, and all but one stayed within 30fps variation. I didn't get more testing done, but did get the rifle dialed in with them and ready for coyotes. That allows a 300yd zero and 350yd dead on hold with a +/- 3" trajectory rise/fall according to my ballistics program. Now I need to test it in the real world, and see how the bullets treat coyotes at that speed. This powder sure seems to work so far.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: 6mm Rem+70gr BT+superformance results

Post by ryutzy »

That oughta smoke a yotey for sure. I always say kill em deader lol.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
mcseal2

Post by mcseal2 »

Got a double on yotes this morning off a cow carcass. We had one prolapse a couple days ago and lost her. Anyway, I shot the first at 124yds through the lungs and the 70gr BT exited through the far shoulder. The second started slowing up at 275yds so I took time to set up my X-bag on the roof of the Polaris Ranger, shot from the bed. It stopped at 342yds and looked back, that bullet didn't exit. I ranged the Polaris from the dead yotes no time to range before shooting. It was sure nice not to worry about holdover, and the wind while strong was in my face. The BT must have held up well at the high velocity to exit at 124yds through the shoulder.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

mcseal2............Congrads on the two yotes!! Glad to hear the 6mm remington is do the job. Can't what to wack one with mine. I got it set up for 107 sierras @3150 real flat shooter.
Thanks for sharing and go shoot some more yotes.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

mcseal2 wrote:...The average velocity of the 6 shots was 3824fps, ...
Holy Moley!! I get about 3200 fps from a .243 WSSM shooting 70-gr SMKs with RL-19.

Not that I'm complaining. That load is pretty rough on hides as is. And I just about cut a bobcat in half with it. Can't imagine what another 600 fps would do for it.

EDIT:
I checked Hodgdon's data and they do show 54 grains should get a 70-gr bullet to 3821 fps at 61,000 psi.
mcseal2

Post by mcseal2 »

I'm on a roll, got another 2 this morning and missed a 3rd. It was a cold calm morning, sunny with a good frost, good for yotes to be moving. First one was off the carcass at 225yds, bullet didn't exit and yote dropped in it's tracks. Second one was a little later fixing fence. All I could see was his head reflecting in the sun at 330yds. I set up my X-bag over the back of the Ranger and lined up, but he kept acting curious and taking an occasional step forward. I waited and finally got a shot at his chest quartering to me. He also dropped right there and the bullet didn't exit. Feeling cocky I tried a shot on another one at 440yds, but shot right under his belly. Still a good morning!