Lyman® 1200 DPS 3 Digital Powder System

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
p5200
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 vtr .204

Lyman® 1200 DPS 3 Digital Powder System

Post by p5200 »

Are these pretty accurate scales for loading consistent charges if any of you use one? Thanks! :)

http://www.basspro.com/Lyman-1200-DPS-3 ... 6/-1390647
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Lyman® 1200 DPS 3 Digital Powder System

Post by acloco »

I did not like either one that I bought. Purchased one....VERY inaccurate. Second, better, but, not that accurate.

Tried two, no, three of the RCBS units as well.....just not accurate enough.

Be careful of the electronic dispensers....the warranty is terrible on most of them.

Spend the money on a GOOD powder measure and a GOOD scale. I use four different powder measures - RCBS with micrometer, Redding with micrometer, old Belding and Mull for coarse powder, and a culver style measure.

Also use a Hornady Model "M" beam scale - has the longest beam of any single beam scale out there, so, a kernel or two of powder can be seen at the other end. Also use an Acculab 123 - good to 0.02 grain...that is two hundredths of a grain...and it is accurate.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

I load on that powder dispensor,and have found it to be very accurate with all powders.I've loaded over 5000 rounds.I like the auto dispense,when you return the pan,because I am seating bullets as I go.No loading blocks involved.Empty primed case comes out of a plastic bowl/veggi container,pour powder,seat bullet,and directly into the MTM box,for range or field.I added weight to the bottom of a Lyman pan/funnel so it would activate the auto dispense feature of the measure.This eliminated using a seperate funnel.I glued in a piece of neck brass so that I could pour for 20cal cases.Now ,you do have to wait for loads over 26gr,otherwise they are fine machines.The Hornady has 3 speeds,and may be worth looking into,if you load large calibers (above 50 grains).
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

I just read an article (Guns, American Handgunner, Handloader ? I don't remember which) wherein the editor came to the same conclusion that many of us, including me, have of digital scales/powder dispensers. Simply - they are slower and no more accurate than a quality powder measure and balance beam scale. This is especially true of those progressive presses that use a powder drop station and adjustable measure. There was a discussion of this topic here a few months ago - same general conclusion. When loading fine grained or spherical powder my Redding, RCBS or Hornady powder measures are all capable of maintaining +/- .1 grain or better accuracy. Nothing more is needed and it take about three seconds to charge a case when using a single stage press. Spend the money if you want, be be aware that electronic scales don't really offer practical advantages.