Pistol VS small Rifle primers

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Pistol VS small Rifle primers

Post by Lenard »

I had some good weather this afternoon so it was time to shoot the Hornet. I did quite a bit of chronographing and was surprised at the results. Contrary to what I have read on many of the shooting forums, I found the small rifle primers shot just as good groups as the small pistol primers.

In addition, the load of 12 1/2 grains of Lil Gun gave me an average of 3050 fps using hornady vmax 40 gr. bullets, using the small rifle primer. The results with the small pistol primer averaged about 2870 fps and the powder charge and bullet.

All of the groups were under an inch, but could have been better if I was not shooting off the hood of my Jeep. Too much coffee and late in the afternoon, does not help with ones accuracy. So it comes down to individual guns I suppose. The CZ has a 23 1/2" barrel.

I am quite surprised not only by the accuracy, but how much extra velocity with the small rifle powder.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Re: Pistol VS small Rifle primers

Post by cshooter »

I got a little Ruger 77/22 hornet i've had for 10 years and love that little gun cartridge combo, but anyways, I get 1/2" groups at 100 yrds with it useing 11.3 gr IMR 4227, 40 gr v-max, win brass and small pistol primers. Small rifle primers opens up the groups quite a bit. And that's with all powders I've tried, but Lil'Gun. It seems to like small rifle primers best. Don't ask me why but it does. Just my 2 cents.