Yugo mauser

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
patrickhoma
.204 Ruger Guns: H and R ultra varminter

Yugo mauser

Post by patrickhoma »

My local gun shop has a yugoslavian m24/47 mauser in for aroud $200. now i know these rifles are not a small caliber, but i was woundering if anyone has owned, shot, or handeled on. The caliber is 7.92x57 (8mm mauser). Would like to know how accuracy was with yours and how you like it. Was it worth the buy.
iKonic Status
.204 Ruger Guns: none...yet

Re: Yugo mauser

Post by iKonic Status »

patrickhoma

I do not own a Mauser myself but have had the opportunity to use many at my club, from original German 1942, Yugoslavian models, Russian captured and modified versions etc.

The caliber is great, recoil was mild for a large cartridge (it feels a little less sharp than a .308win IMO) but is really accurate and makes a great hunting round, providing you use the correct heads of course ;)

The quality of the woodwork (probably Ply) shouldn't put you off, as the Barrel and Action are usually sound!

I would check the gun over properly, check the condition of the barrel and the bolt, and providing you're happy there, I would buy it! Try and haggle on the price but I don't think you can go much wrong with the Mauser action and the 7.92x57 cartridge!

Happy Shooting!

Kon
Ruger 77/22 .22lr

Savage 12 VLP .223rem

Howa/Hogue 1500 Varmint HB .308win
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I have the M48 8X57JS Mauser(.323 bore). The PRE 1905 "J" version models used a .318 bore so be careful!! They're some pretty accurate rifles with hand loads(H4895 and 175gr Sierra SPT). It's favorite factory ammo was Remington round nose core-lokt's, I think they had 200 grain bullets. Most foreign ammo shot 8 inch groups. Mine will allways have a spot reserved in my safe. I take her out 2 or 3 times a year for some fun. Here's a 200 yard target shot with hand loads
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

patrickhoma
.204 Ruger Guns: H and R ultra varminter

Post by patrickhoma »

Thats a great looking mauser but is it worth buying one if you would shoot it constantly at the range. I know that they are mil surplus but in you oppinon do you thing they are very accurate at 100 yards. How is ammo for these, iv seen some good deals on mil surplus ammo but how accurate can this type of ammo get.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

They're nice rifles. But after about 50 rounds, it starts to hurt without a recoil pad. If you control barrel heat, I would think it should shoot sub MOA at 100 yards. It does walk a bit as the barrel heats up, which you can see in the target I posted. Not sure how well it will shoot surplus ammo though, The Greek stuff I tried was all over the place.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition