Hunting Shack Munitions???

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Hunting Shack Munitions???

Post by Ray P »

Just got some from Cabela's. I see their head stamp on the brass. Who makes the brass for them? Just a crazy question. :huh: Feels good when reloading. The box shows and address of Stevensville, Mt.
Thanks for any input.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Hunting Shack Munitions???

Post by Hotshot »

The Hunting Shack had that brass made with their headstamp in the Phillipines. Bill told me last week that the deal fell apart and he no longer will get that brass. Reloaders did not generally give it good marks. But the low price sure helped keep costs down.
He also told me the current round of panic buying is not because of any shortages from the manufacturing side, he has been able to get everything he wants at stable prices. Prices won't go down for a while though, because they are using brass and lead bought last year at higher pricing.
They just got in 100,000 bullets from Berger and will feature them in target loads soon. They also got 60,000 17 Rem Fireball brass and will have boxes of 50 available for a reasonable price.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I've heard reports of HSM brass being inferior, in that when sizing, some have had the rims tear off in the shellholder, rendering the case useless.

No personal experience, just what I've heard here and on other forums in regard to this offshore produced brass.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Hotshot :D Thanks for the update. I got them for my 500 smth, loaded with 350 grn hornady xtp's. :chin: The price for a 20 round box was 1/2 for what a factory box of hornady costs with the same bullet.
Rick........Thanks too!! Will do on watching the rim for fatigue.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

These are good guys at HSM. The owners started with a little gun shop in the 70's and have grown to be the 4th largest ammo manufacturing company in the US. When they started with ammo contracts I had a tune-up shop in Missoula and I kept their old 1 ton dodge running for several hundred thousand miles.
There is a retail counter at the plant and they always take care of their old friends when we come in. (I've been able to dip into the bulk bins for bullets and primers at a nice savings)
I don't know what size of an order would get their attention for shipping, but they do ship ammo all over the world, so they know the rules and have all the permits. They don't do much Remington components, but they usually have Win, CCI, Fed primers by the millions. Brass and bullets for what they produce, and lots of powder in bulk. Some things they won't or don't want to sell from bulk and especially in small quantities. Check them out when you're shopping for good deals and/or stuff you can't get elsewhere.

P.S. Last week they had plenty of BR-4's and Fed 205M's.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hotshot: I saw a sequence on TV about their operation, and as you said, they seemed like a very good bunch, especially the owner who was primarily featured. I could tell he was "one of us", and really cared about the operation. It was good to see a small outfit grow to the size he is now by fair prices with a good product.

A couple of my rat shooting buddies have shot his 204R ammo for a couple of years, and Skippy did the dance about every time, so it appears to be carefully loaded with good components. If any of his brass is inferior in any way, such as maybe being a bit on the brittle side, it certainly is not his fault, but that of the offshore operation that produces it for him with his headstamp.

All in all, we're fortunate to have an outfit like HSM as an alternative to the big boys, who rarely if ever listen to us, but only to their bean counters and mass marketing. I for one, wish him and his crew the very best of fortune, and a long and profitable business venture.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Had some very good results from HSM rifle ammo in both .308 and 7mm Rem mag. Excellent accuracy at 300 - 600 yards. That ammo was loaded on fresh Winchester brass.

Also have done well with their .223 ammo for AR-15's, although they've popped an occasional primer. Mostly though - good stuff.
Schrutester
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Schrutester »

Rick in Oregon wrote: A couple of my rat shooting buddies have shot his 204R ammo for a couple of years, and Skippy did the dance about every time, so it appears to be carefully loaded with good components.

I saw a picture of one your buddies with a box of HSM ammo on his bench and I was going to search him out (on the forum that is) and ask him how satisfied he was with that brand. It is good to hear that HSM is a quality/accurate round. I am looking for good quality 204 ammo that isn't as expensive as Hornady, Federal, etc. So I was hoping HSM would be a good alternative.

I wish Ultramax would make 204 ammo as I have had great results using them in my .223 Rem. 788.

One day I will be able to reload and not have to depend on Factory Rounds... :D
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

That was Captqc (Gary) shooting the HSM 204 ammo if you want to send him a PM. He shot bucket-loads of the stuff, and Skippy didn't seem to fly any less.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Schrutester

Post by Schrutester »

Rick in Oregon wrote:That was Captqc (Gary) shooting the HSM 204 ammo if you want to send him a PM. He shot bucket-loads of the stuff, and Skippy didn't seem to fly any less.
Thanks for the name Rick, I will do that.
duker33
.204 Ruger Guns: 2- savage 12 bull brl 204 ruger 26" left hand

Post by duker33 »

HSM Brass is the worst stuffi have ever tryed to reload i picked up a few boxes at a bun show and let the boys shoot it then tryed to reload it all the necks where spliting bad so i tossed it in the trash i dont need to be dealing with that i have also read alot of fourms that other people had the same issues
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Thanks for all your input and taking the time to respond.
Realy do appreciate the help!
Later.........guys & girls
Ray P
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

I have had good results with HSM's .204, .223, and 25-06 ammo. However, they have used Lake City brass sometimes in the past, and it has had some problems.

Their prices are quite reasonable, and the quality is good.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Like Rick said, I've shot a ton of Hunting Shack .204 with excellent results. Their price is better than any other brand of ammo out there. I know that some folks have had trouble reloading the HS headstamped stuff but a lot of what I have is Winchester stamped. I don't currently reload but I'm saving the brass for when I do. Not sure if I'll mess with the HS stamped stuff or not but I may try anealing some and see if that prevents the splitting neck issues. Captqc
Schrutester

Post by Schrutester »

Captqc wrote:Like Rick said, I've shot a ton of Hunting Shack .204 with excellent results. Their price is better than any other brand of ammo out there. I know that some folks have had trouble reloading the HS headstamped stuff but a lot of what I have is Winchester stamped. I don't currently reload but I'm saving the brass for when I do. Not sure if I'll mess with the HS stamped stuff or not but I may try anealing some and see if that prevents the splitting neck issues. Captqc
Do you just buy it straight from HSM or get it somewhere else?