difference between target and varmint bullets

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

difference between target and varmint bullets

Post by kenbrofox »

HI, can anybody tell me if there is a difference in the build of a 25gn berger varmint bullet and a 25gn berger target bullet? ( both hollow points) reason i ask is because i can buy target bullets by post but not varmint bullets Thanks KB.
' Pay it forward buddy '
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Re: difference between target and varmint bullets

Post by Bunnybuster »

As a general rule, the target bullet has a thicker copper jacket, and is less frangible than the varmint bullet.

If you want a definitive answer, email Berger.
kenbrofox

Post by kenbrofox »

thanks for that Bunnybuster.KB.
' Pay it forward buddy '
iKonic Status
.204 Ruger Guns: none...yet

Post by iKonic Status »

kenbrofox

Am I right in assuming that you are also based here in the UK?!?!

If so then your question rests upon 2 things;
(1) Your Firearms certificate and whether you are allowed to legally purchase Expanding Ammunition

(2) Your Wholesaler/Distributer/Mailorder company and what they consider to be Expanding Ammunition.

My experience has lead me to ask the same question as you and found that there's no one answer. If your Firearms Certificate don't allow you to purchase Expanding Ammunition, eg Hornady A-Max's, Nosler Ballistic Tips, Hollow Points etc, then legally you shouldn't be able to purchase them and most wholesalers won't sell them to you. That being said, some will and it does come down to what they consider to be 'Expanding' or 'Hunting/Varmit' bullets.

I've spoken with wholesalers who think that Sierra 69g Hollow Point Boat Tail MATCH bullets are 'Expanding' due to the 'Hollow Point' name and should only be sold to those with a Firearms Certificate allowing them to do so. Other wholesalers however consider the Hornady A-Max and Nosler Ballistic Tip, which technically are 'Expanding' due the pollymer tip, to be NOT Expanding Ammunition as they also make bloody good target bullets and therefore should be sold to shooters without the need to have it on their Firearms Certificate.

The conclusion to my rather long and rambled post is; it depends on your bullet wholesaler/distributer and what they consider to be 'Expanding' or Varmint bullets. I would speak to them and if your Firearms Certificate does allow you to purchase hunting bullets, most wholesalers will send them through the post if you fax/email a copy of your Certificate showing your right to purchase those particular bullets.

All the best

Kon
Ruger 77/22 .22lr

Savage 12 VLP .223rem

Howa/Hogue 1500 Varmint HB .308win
kenbrofox

Post by kenbrofox »

Hello there Kon, yes i am in UK. just north of Manchester. My f.a.c. allows me to buy expanding ammo. but not bullet heads by post. This is what midwayuk said after cancelling my order.........We can not post expanding bullet heads ie. polymer tipped ( with the exeption of Hornady A max ) direct to the customer. It must be face to face with a registered firearms dealer Any bullets with match, target or competition in their title, hollow point or not can be posted direct to the customer. I was asking about bullet build because if target and varmint are alike i may as well get the target types through the post. It seems the target ones might not FRANGE ( if thats a word) as easily as the varmint ones and i want to avoid shooting right through anything.....Thanks for all replies, rgards KB.
' Pay it forward buddy '
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

To all here in the U.S. reading this, try to imagine if WE had goofy nonsensical laws like that here in our country. Well.....with Nobama in office, that's exactly where we're headed. To all here that voted for him, you may well get the "change" he promised.

Off Topic I know, and sorry to iKonic and Kenbro for deviating. But coming from Canada myself, with stringent stupid laws there also, I just could not stay quiet. Our founding fathers will soon be rolling in their graves I fear. Just remember that the 2nd Amendment had/has nothing to do with hunting, but was intended to protect US from the government.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

kenbrofox

Post by kenbrofox »

Rick, very nicely put,you are a very lucky nation but once the errosion starts who knows where it will end! KB.
' Pay it forward buddy '