Need help to get started with reloading

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
rfurman24
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12

Need help to get started with reloading

Post by rfurman24 »

I just got a savage 12fv with a stockade bedded stock and want to start reloading. I know the basic steps to reloading as I have read and read and plan to read some more. I also have people that can help with the how tos. I need help with the equipment.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ewishlist.exe/ ... =101644369

Would this get me started? Is there something I might be missing? Anything I may not need. I realize the scale and measure are not great but have to start somewhere. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by rfurman24 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Need help to get started with reloading

Post by acloco »

Link points towards an empty wish list on Midway.....
rfurman24
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12

Post by rfurman24 »

Try that. Sorry.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

LOL!

Buy the primers and powder locally, if you can. These cannot be shipped together, so, you would pay 2x hazmat fee.

Are you planning to reload for other calibers?

If so, I would HIGHLY recommend buying a Lyman single stage press/combo or the RCBS Rockchucker combo.

At the minimum, either will have a higher resale value. ....and both brands are better equipment.

Buy your digital caliper at Harbor Freight - save you about $10-15 - and it is the SAME digital caliper.

Buy the tub of Hornady sizing lube...the liquid is messy and not as good. Or, buy Imperial sizing die wax.

I prefer the Forster case trimmer. All of the options and accessories are half the price as any other brand. I do use the LEE brand of individual trimmers though. But, they do not make one for 204 caliber (maybe they do now???).
heikki02003
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV

Post by heikki02003 »

All sound and great advise acloco :wtg:. Answers like that make this site such a rich and valuable source, thanks.
Kyle
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I didn't see a powder dispenser/charger listed. I picked up one from Midway and when I got it, it started gumming up with powder granuals in the interior.....

Seems they are shipped with a rust inhibitor applied to the metal parts and after I cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol swabs, it works perfectly and allows very consistent charges with 'ball' powders. (It doesn't work well with extruded powders).. If you are planning on doing quantity reloading, it's a big help. If you are going to try extruded powders at max loads, you will need a long drop tube to help get all the powder in the case.

I agree with buying powder/primers locally,,, I live 20 miles from Midway and they don't stock their HazMat items and I would still have to pay for the shipping charges if I pick up the rest at the dock like I normally do....A local dealer buys in quantity and spreads the HazMat fee out over each container..

When you can afford it, look into the RCBS case prep station... I got one given to me for Christmas and it's really a wrist saver when chamfering a large quantity of cases...I prep and prime mine in advance of storing them as the charging and bullet seating goes pretty fast.
AR
Factory/Factory
SpentPrimer
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by SpentPrimer »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the honest truth is that you WILL NOT save a lot of money by reloading. What you will do is enjoy a lot more shooting and the satisfaction you get from getting good results using something you reload yourself. Here are just a few of the benefits I have found since I started reloading back in the early 60s.
a. I reload several obsolete callibers. I have even bought a very good rifle because the previous owner could not find ammunition for it he could afford. Sometimes have form the brass from what I have on hand, but that is another story.
b. I make my own reloading blocks from wood using my drill press. A 3/8 forester (flat tip) drill bit makes a snug hole to hold 204 Ruger brass and they will not tip over. Along this line, buy or make. a sturdy reloading bench and stool you can "almost" dedicate to nothing but reloading. A greasy mechanics workbench won't make it.
c. When in the "doghouse" with the wife go to your "man cave" and work on one stage or another of reloading some ammunition. I usually work my brass in several stages as I load for several calibers. Example, I usually tumble them clean, then trim to length if needed, prime (using a Lee hand primer and set of shell holders with added ones as required), place back into 50 or 60 round storeage boxes, charge and seat bullets usually 100 at a time.
d. By attending garage sales with the wife I can look for used reloading equipment, and rarely an old firearm, that may be for sale. If the used equipment has been taken care of it will last a long time and can be had for pennies on the dollar over new equipment.
e. As stated above, buy primers/powder from a dealer you know. As word gets around you are reloading some of the locals may even invite you over to see their layout and possible even try their equipment under their supervision.
Hope your new hobby proves an much enjoyment for you as it has for me.
SpentPrimer