info on benchmark down under

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

info on benchmark down under

Post by futuretrades »

i don't know if anyone has looked into this, but a member here, from austalia, pm'd me about benchmark powder. his question was, "when i was talking about loading with benchmark powder, which one, benchmark 1 or bm 2." he also mentioned that the supplier was adi. i asked was adi the manufacturer or just a supplier, and i refered him to the hodgdon website for more info on the benchmark powder we are using in the states.
what he reported to me was very interesting to say the least. he reported back to me that, down under, adi is the manufacturer of bm1 and bm2, and is more readily available, and way less expensive than than powders manufactured here in the states.

has anyone else run into this? members from down under, are you using adi powders, and not hodgdon? :chin: i hope that all of our friends from australia, are aware of this, and to use caution, and not use hodgdon loads, listed in reloading manuals, for their adi loads. :eek:

also, i have never seen any mention of loads for bm 1 and 2, in any of my loading manuals. do you reloaders from down under have different reloading manuals, than we, in the states, use? :huh:

i am just wondering, and trying to make everyone aware of this, before someone has a major problem with their reloading. :thunder:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: info on benchmark down under

Post by glenn asher »

I monkey around a LOT on australianhunting.net, and trust me, they know the differences between Benchmarks, etc. Most all of them can tell which Hodgdon powder belongs to which ADI number (2206H=H4895, for example) Heck, I'm getting so I know a few :lol: , even. ADI's website has conversion chart with the powders, so when I recommend something for the .204 to one of them, (using H-322, for example) they can run to the ADI website, check the chart, and know to use 2219? (hey, I don't know them ALL!)

Actually, Hodgdon buys all the "Extreme" line from Australia, they mostly IMPORT the stuff, and until they bought the Winchester powder line here, bought the spherical stuff from Winchester's maker (Primex). The powder market is really interesting, if you're a nut about such things. Alliant Techsystems is really interesting, too. Not nearly all of it goes to reloaders, either, military and commercial explosives probably make up the majority of their business, from artillery stuff to demolition charges.

The Aussie reloaders are just as knowledgeable as US reloaders, maybe more so, since they have to really study up on stuff before ordering it, from US suppliers (they don't have the market we do, and no one gears up to make reloading stuff, except Simplex, maybe, so they have to import it, often on their own hook!
As far as ADI powders being less expensive than US powders, remember that the transportation costs are somewhat less, since they don't have to move it as far. However, when the US$ is strong, their costs are pretty equivalent to ours.
They don't get all the ADI powders, either, some are basically made JUST for Hodgdon, and vice versa, we don't get all ADI has to offer, either, so they get some stuff we can't. No matter, they seem to get by really well. Since we almost share the same language, it's fun to hang around with them. :mrgreen:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

very interesting stuff! :chin:

thanks for the insight on this subject, glenn. :D i will pm the person who pm'd me on this subject and let him know about your post.
i am sure he will be interested in your post. he sounds new to reloading, and i wanted to help him if i could.

i figured someone here would have an answer to his question.
this really is a great site, and really wonderful and knowledgeable people.

thanks to all the people that keep this site running! :hail: :salute: :salute:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Jeff_8
.204 Ruger Guns: None yet!

Post by Jeff_8 »

Hi all,

Hodgdon Benchmark is the same as ADI Benchmark 2. Benchmark 1 is faster between H4198 and H322. It was marketed as a premium powder but is now the same cost as AR2207 etc. In Australia a lot of people use the ADI powder as the supply of US powders can be erratic, you no sooner work up a good load and then you cant get the powder you need so you try with another powder.

Jeff

:camper: :assault: