Stock bedding

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Lee C.

Stock bedding

Post by Lee C. »

I called midway about miles gilbert bedding kit, but there out tell april some time. Dose any one know where i can fine this kit besides midway? Or is the Brownell's acraglas kit or there acraglas gel kit just as good as the gilbert kit.

This is going to be my first try at bedding a stock. But i would like to know witch kit you guys think would be better. Thanks Lee
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Stock bedding

Post by WrzWaldo »

Try a search on amazon.com, there are a few places with it.

WW
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Lee C - buy the Brownell's kit - it is identical components.

If you absolutely must have a Miles kit...and cannot find one, I have a new/spare.

Email me if necessary.

Later!

Tom
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

WW, I did a search for the kit yesterday and found it at a few places. From $25.00 up to almost $40.00, for the same kit that midway has for $17.oo.This time of the year I have to shop around as i'm off of work this time of the year. I'l look around some more on the web to see if i can fine a kit.

acloco, Thanks for your offer on the spare kit you have. But I'l look around some more or just get the one from Brownell's.

Thanks for your in put on this guys. Lee
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Lee...if you haven't already purchased a stock bedding kit, I'd offer that I've probably bedded more than 50 rifles over the years, and have always used Accura-Glass Gel from Brownells. Easy to work with, comes with brown and black dye so you can match the mix to the stock color.

I've never had a problem with it, and every rifle I've bedded has always shot better after the bedding job. Just my .02 :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

Lee..... I wholeheartedly agee with Rick. I have used both kits and much prefer the Brownells Acraglass Gel. Regular Acraglass and the Miles Gilbert kit if mixed according to the directions are very "runny". Sometimes you need a some bedding compound that is very fluid, but I've found that when bedding actions the gel stays where you want it to without flowing into a bunch of places you don't want it. As Rick says, just my :twocents: worth. Have fun!

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Thanks Rick & Gerry, for your in put on the bedding kit. I didn't get one yet but it will be the Brownell's acragles gel. I'l be ordering the kit today and I should beable to start on it next week. Thanks agine guys.
blackblue
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage predator hunter

Post by blackblue »

anyone ever tried to use the puttys that come as a stick and you mix them together?
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

blackblue

I considered those stick epoxys. Its been quite some time since I used one but I think it would be a little too stiff for proper bedding. Really can't remember the consistency tho. I was not using it for rifle bedding.

I bedded my 6.5x284 about three weeks ago. I used JB Weld. So far out of all the bedding kits and two part epoxys I've used I liked the JB best.
The consistency is just right. Not too runny, not too stiff.
It seems to set harder than any bedding kit I've bought including Steel Bed. Steel bed is pretty good stuff but the steel part of the mixture was lumpy and could not be mixed 100% smooth. That leaves tiny soft spots in the bedding.
Any of the "two-ton" epoxy syringes are just as good if not better than the Miles Gilbert bedding material IMO.

Small warning! JB not only gets hard but it grips like crazy. You best get your release agent application methods correct.

FWIW
If anyone is considering bedding one of those synthetic stocks I saw a two part epoxy syringe at a local Napa designed especially for plastics. Never tried it on a synthetic stock but I would if the need arises.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .