B&C stocks

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Lee C.

B&C stocks

Post by Lee C. »

I've been looking at different stocks for about a month now and it's come down to the B&C stocks. I really like the looks of the duramaxx stock like the one Melvin put on hes 22-250 action. But i'd like to here from any one how has used what they call the medalist composite stock whit the full integral aluminum bedding block. If any one has any thought's on eather stock I would like to here them.

Thanks alot guys Lee
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: B&C stocks

Post by glenn asher »

I have three of the Duramaxx stocks, like Melvin's, only in different colors :D If you wait patiently, you can catch them on sale from Midway, for very reasonable prices. The Medalist stocks cost quite a bit more, but they ARE more stock. Still, I have no problems with my Duramaxx stocks. They fit me better than the tupperware from the factory, are still pretty light and handy.

I can't really comment on the Medalist stocks, since I haven't used them, but I've got a couple other B&C stocks and had no troubles out of them, two Carbelites and an Old English on the Howa .270, and I had a B&C stock set on an 1100 Remington, too. They make good stuff at reasonable prices. Dang, I didn't realize I've had sevenof the things!
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

Glenn,

How do you like your Carbelite 1 piece stock?

I ask as I'm going to replace the stock on my .260 and was seriously eyeing the olive/black webbing color to replace the factory stock...

Can you comment on weight and overall feel?

Thanks alot...
http://www.Predatoroutfitters.com

Fully guided predator hunting by guys who live and breathe it.
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Thanks alot for your in put on there stocks Glenn. I talk to the people at B&C to day and they gave me a place to call that has most of there stocks on hand. They have the medalist stock i'm looking for that i wan't to try out. It most be a small outlet as no one was there when i called them. They do have a website and sell alot of things for the 10-22. The website is http://www.shootersdiscount.com if you wan't to look it over at all.
Thanks agine Glenn
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

The Carbelite is on my Model 70 .270, and added a tad to the weight of the rifle (it came in Winchester's plastic stock). It couldn't have added much more than 4 oz. though, it's light enough for my wants and needs (it sure isn't a McMillan Edge, but it cost a LOT less). I like the feel, and the recoil pad is a lot better than Winchester's, too. All in all, it's a good stock.
I have the English styled stock on the Howa .270, and it's a LOT like the Winchester Featherweight's stock, except it has a Monte Carlo on it, which I could live without (it was on the rifle when I got it). It's recoil pad is pretty good, too.
I had an older styled Carbelite on a M77R .270 Ruger, way back when, and it helped a lot in the recoil department, but those older stocks were kinda weird, kind of a Weatherby shape, it was like a wedge that slid away from your face when you fired it. That was nice, but the newer Carbelites are much more conventionally shaped, and better. Any of the Carbelites will NEED glass bedding, as the foam stuff inside is kinda fragile, but they are pretty darned good, especially for the prices they charge.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

I'm not a "tactical" type of guy, when it comes to stocks, but they look pretty good, other than the shape. I've always wondered what made stocks "tactical", that's something people do, not stocks :lol:

If they fit you comfortably, they ought to be as good as any of the HS Precision models, which cost a lot more. Keep in mind you might have to skim bed them anyway, as sometimes the aluminum blocks don't fit just right (even with HS stocks!) That's gonna be a personal choice, which I don't feel qualified to make for someone else. I don't see anything blatantly bad about them, but I do wonder if you can get a cleaning rod down the barrel with the exaggerated cheekpieces. I've had to cut down a Boyd's stock for my Howa .223 for that reason. Beyond that, they look fine.
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

might want to wait until after SHOT, as they are debuting a few new styles as well as consructions down there.
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

glenn asher wrote: If they fit you comfortably, they ought to be as good as any of the HS Precision models, which cost a lot more.
I have to respectfully disagree.

For years Remington used H-S stocks on their higher end factory varmint rifles. One year they went to the low bidder (B&C) and there was a definite decline in stock quality on those rifles.

As soon as that contract ended, H-S once again began supplying stocks and has done so ever since. I've also bought both stocks direct from the factory and there is a reason they are priced differently. You get what you pay for.

JMO - BCB
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

I have a DuraMaxx stock and I Agree with everything Glenn said.
Rafter CT

Post by Rafter CT »

I just put a Duramaxx stock on my Savage. Definately not a drop in. We had to do quite a bit of inletting then glassed the lug area. Price wasn't bad but definately not "drop in" on my Savage.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear. - Mark Twain
janneuf

Post by janneuf »

I have a Bell and Carlson Duramaxx stock on my Model 12 Savage. It is pillar bedded and seems to be much stiffer that the factory "tupperware" and looks a ton better IMHO.

I got mine off ebay for about $110.
janneuf
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Glenn, My B&C medalist stock should be here this week. I've been all over the web looking at stocks and what different people have to say about stocks. And I don't care what stock it is you can fine good and bad thing's said about each of them. I'm with you about the tactical part. I think it's just some hype to sell ya some thing. What I kind of like is the full lenght aluminam bedding block in the stock. Some say they put there action in this stock and there shooting great. And some guy's say you need to bed the stock first. I'm going to try it with out doing any thing to it first. I've never done any stock bedding on any thing. But I sure see the good point's of doing it. If this was a custom gun it wouldn't have any thing but a McMillan stock going on it. But i'm just looking for some thing alittle better than what came on the 12fv. I don't know a thing about bedding a stock. So what ever you guys can tell me sure would be helpful. Thank's to all you guy's on the stock advice Lee
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Bought a Medalist for my Vanguard .243 Varminter, liked it so much I got another for my Howa 7mmMag. Saw definite accuracy improvement in both and they were not bad to begin with. I'm sure you will be happy with yours. :D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Well ahab the stock came in yesterday. But I was down helping out my one son on his house. But i'm going to try an get it together to day. And do some shooting with it if i get the time.
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

Hey JANNEUF Was your B&C Duramaxx a drop in or did you have to do some work on it? Mine was pillared bedded on both the model 12 an a 110 I put a Duramaxx stock on--both seemed to be alot better than the tupperware stock... just my thoughts...Oh and they were both drop in's..