Case Trimmers

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Singleshot

Case Trimmers

Post by Singleshot »

I seem to recall a thread about favourite case trimmers a while back. I have looked through old threads for several days but can't find it. Anyone remember where it is or have any recommendations about which trimmer you prefer? As I remember, the Wilson was one of the best. I have to buy a new one. The universal cartridge head on my Lyman trimmer has become defective and lets the 204 brass slip out when I begin to trim it.
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Re: Case Trimmers

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

I'm using the RCBS with the electric motor and it works well and is consistent and accurate.
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Post by foxwhistler »

Cant go wrong with the Wilson.Once you set the length you want,it`s a real fast job to trim your cases.Also a very good price.
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I have a Lyman trimmer and two Wilsons. I prefer the Wilson trimmer. I have one set up to trim my .17 Remington casings and the other set up with one of these gadgets pictured below. This micrometer attachment makes it SUPER EASY to set the trim length for any cartridge you need to trim. Just get it set once, write down the micrometer reading and next time you need to trim for that cartridge, you can just dial right in to the correct length.

Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
BSmith

Post by BSmith »

I too have a Lyman and a Wilson. The Wilson takes a couple of minutes to get used to but after that it's off to the races. Very accurate.

Silverfox, where did you get the mic attachment? I am loading for three different rifles and that thing would be downright handy!
Fire kills people. We need tougher match control laws!
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Sinclairs has them. I have one one my Wilson and it is great. (not to answer for Silverfox)
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

BSmith-- WHISTLEPIG got the source right on the money. Sinclair International has lots of nice little gadgets that are nice to have--not necessary, but NICE!!! :mrgreen:
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
BSmith

Post by BSmith »

Thanks for the info on the mic. I found it at Sinclairs. $91 seems a bit steep but if you change calibers a lot, it's probably worth it.

Does anyone use a base for their Wilson? I clamp mine in a small vise clamped to my bench. The mount looks like a handy addition as well. The base of my trimmer only has the holes that are used to secure the "sleeves" to the base. Do you have to drill/tap other holes to use the base?
Fire kills people. We need tougher match control laws!
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

BS, I just bought the whole deal from Sinclair called the “Ultimate Trimmer” I think it cost about $150.00. The stand they have is worth it. For volume I think it is the next best thing to a Gracy. Call them about the hole pattern. They are friendly.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I use a Redding trim die it cost about $23 dollars. Its fast you just put it in your press run the brass up then take the excess off with the pass of a file. The draw back is you can't go back any further than what the die allows and they are caliber pacific so you will have to buy one for each caliber. My Lynman trimmer is collecting dust it didn't come with a collet for 20 cal any way.