New stock, new load

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

New stock, new load

Post by Melvin Eades »

I haven't been real impressed with the stock that came on my Savage M12FV in 22-250 so back earlier in Dec. I put a B&C DuraMaxx stock on it. It's a big improvement over the original stock.

I then wanted to work up a load with the 50 grain V-Max. The best accurate load ended up being 35.7 grains of Varget. As I increased in .2 grain increments, the group started to spread and when I hit 36.1 grains I started getting pressure signs. I'll take accuracy over speed.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Lee C.

Re: New stock, new load

Post by Lee C. »

Nice looking stock Melvin, How did the action fit the stock? I've been looking at a New B&C stock for my 204 as i've stell got the one my 12fv came with. Thanks for any in put on the stocks they make.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Lee,
The only thing I had to do was drill out the rear trigger guard screw hole. Other than that it just dropped in. It regularly sells at Midway for $129.00 and they had it on sale for $99.00.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Thanks Melvin,
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I've got three of those stocks, and they add a lot to the feel and comfort of the rifles. I really like them, they make the gun feel a lot more solid in the hands.
Adding one of the big bolt handles Savage sells, also helps the feel of the rifle, gives you more leverage, and in general makes for a nicer handling rifle, too. Some rifles already have them, like the VLP, I wish Savage put them on ALL of their varmint rifles.........
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!