Know it is not a 204 topic but........looking or a lil info

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Know it is not a 204 topic but........looking or a lil info

Post by dannybracy »

Hey guys, haven't been on the site for a couple months and i am sure that I have missed out on TONS of info. Glad to be back. Anyhow i have an off topic question about SHOTGUN presses. Thinking that i might grab one to load a few of my own up for clays. I don't need to be loading thousands of rounds in a sitting. I will use it to make a couple a hundred rounds every month or two for blasting at clays or anything else that looks fun to shoot. I was looking at a MEC 650 or a MEC 8567. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/input/experience on this topic for me. Thanks a lot guys! Or does anyone have one in good shape for sale? THanks again in advance.
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Know it is not a 204 topic but........looking or a lil info

Post by acloco »

Danny - Any other time, I would say GO FOR IT. The cost of reloading shotgun shells is 2.5 times what it was 6 months ago.

Yes, it would be good to learn, but, IMO, I would just buy the cheap stuff at wallyworld.

Western Nebraska is a good bird hunting area...and also clay/skeet/etc. LOTS of the people don't shoot a tenth of what they did early in the year...it is THAT expensive.
WT

Post by WT »

Danny,

Ditto what acloco said. I have been loading shotgun shells for trap and skeet shooting for about 35 years. This year I didn't load any. The cost for lead shot, and primers (when you could find them) has gone up tremendously. I figured the cost per box this spring was $4.40 and now lead shot is even higher. I bought ten cases at $3.70 per box instead of reloading for $4.40 a box.

Having said that, I have been using a MEC 9000 G for about 15 years and having nothing but good to say about MEC's customer support. I had a small coil spring on the primer tray wear out and I called MEC. They sent out a new one with no charge. Later the weld between the primer tray and the drop tube cracked. I called them again and they replaced the whole unit, again with no charge. This machine has loaded many thousands of rounds over the years with only those two items breaking / wearing out.
Wayne,

"Aim low boys, they're ridin' Shetlands"
NRA Life Member 30+ Years
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Check the shelves for Kent Fast Steel. Usually a great price for some good ammo. My son discovered them and uses them exclusively. Once they catch on, the price will skyrocket.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Currently, it's not cost effective to load shotshells, components are sky high, and store-boughts really are cheaper, even the AA trap loads.
If large numbers aren't a factor, perhaps the Lee Loadall II would work for you. Before the price of shot skyrocketed, I loaded ammo for my shotguns on one. It'll turn out about a box every fifteen minutes, if you're concentrating and organized. Mine's put up right now, no point in loading for what little I'm shooting scatterguns.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!