New 204 ruger owner - hello out there

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

New 204 ruger owner - hello out there

Post by cshooter »

Hello, I am a farm boy from Illinois. Good to meet everybody. I have read the topics on this forum for a while off and on and can tell experience when I hear it. I'm sort of new to computers, so forgive me if I make a mistake or two. I have been around guns most of my 42 years. I recently purchased a Ruger 77 MK II in 204 ( my wife got a new LCD-HD TV - that gave me leverage on me getting me a toy too). I like the 204's accuracy and it's flat shooting abuility. Don't kick near like my old 270. I hope I can knock out a few of these cornbelt coyotes with it. Wonder how far it will take a coyote out to ? I have an old 270, several 22's, couple shotguns, a 22 hornet & little 17 HMR(for varmint control in the sheds), and a few pistols. Alot of inherited guns from granddad's and uncles, ect. I hunt squirrels, deer, and some furbearing varmints in winter with a call. We have about a 50/50 mix of timber & farm ground around here. I like to target shoot and hunt on my free time and am looking forward to seeing what this new rifle is capable of in the field. Me and my wife are just small farmers compared with some of our neighbors. About 320 acres - mostly pasture and hay. :) I don't know much else to tell about myself. Hope I can add something.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: New 204 ruger owner - hello out there

Post by Vartarg »

Welcome to the forum....you've fallen in with a great bunch of guys. I've got the Ruger .204 you bought, and have been very satisfied with it. Folks look at my targets (well, at least some of them 8)) and ask what I did to get it to shoot like that....and it's straight factory. Good luck! George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

cshooter-- Welcome to the Forum. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. :wink:

I think the 204 will be very reliable out to 300yds. No personal experience at that range with one but I think it's good for that easy. :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

Let me get this straight...SHE gets a big TV and you get a new gun...what sort of fairy tale are you living in...

Welcome to the forum, lots of insight here, enjoy.

SR
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Welcome to the forum Cshooter, Enjoy your new toy and let us know how things go with it.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Welcome aboard Cshooter.

The .204 will surprise you what it can do. I've killed coyotes out to 332 yards with mine. Where in IL do you live? I may be close to you. You're in the right place for finding info on the .204. A lot of experienced folks on here willing to help you out with any questions you might have.

Keep us updated on that new rifle.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

cshooter wrote: ( my wife got a new LCD-HD TV - that gave me leverage on me getting me a toy too). Hope I can add something.
You just did! With a woman like that, I'd even get married :eek: . I guess they're out there... WELCOME
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

You are going to be pleasantly and thoroughly surprised with your new caliber.

The 204 is an easy 600-650 yard prairie dog rifle. I don't see a reason why this round could not be extremely effective on coyotes to the 500 yard range (shot placement is of high importance!!). Would highly suggest using the Sierra 39 gr BK's or the Hornady 40 gr VMax for your coyote bullet of choice.

Welcome to the board.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

Thanks fellas, apreciate the welcome. Now if the heat and horse flies will let me get out and shoot my new toy, I'll have a report on how it shoots. Thanks again