Prepping NEW Lapua Brass - Neck OD already to small

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Promapper
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 204 24" on Bushmaster lower with Luepold 8.5-20x40

Prepping NEW Lapua Brass - Neck OD already to small

Post by Promapper »

Purchased some new Lapua 6.5 x 284 brass. I am trying to to determine how to treat this new brass vs a fire formed piece.

I just swapped out the standard no frills RCBS for the Redding Bushing dies hence these new questions.

A loaded round measures .2925 OD on the neck. The new brass is .2895 OD. Fired brass before resizing comes out at .2975. Assuming I take redding's advice and use a bushing that is .001 smaller than the loaded round it will have no effect on the new brass since it is already considerably smaller than the target size. Will this brass all have to be fire formed before I can get a consistent neck tension? Also, will I have to resize the fired brass multiple times stepping down the bushings since it is 5 thousandths from where I want to end up.

Thanks for the help
Joe McCarthy (Republican senator from Wisconsin (1947–57) WAS RIGHT ! And no one listened. NOW LOOK WHAT WE GOT !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_McCarthy
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Prepping NEW Lapua Brass - Neck OD already to small

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Don't fret about it.....load the stuff up and shoot it. After firing you'll find out that the 'springback' has occurred, and things have sorted themselves out.

You don't have to worry about Lapua brass, especially their neck uniformity. Don't sweat a couple thou's at this stage.....the brass is as perfect as factory brass will EVER get....load it and shoot it and you'll see that that there's nothing to worry about.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Promapper
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 204 24" on Bushmaster lower with Luepold 8.5-20x40

Re: Prepping NEW Lapua Brass - Neck OD already to small

Post by Promapper »

thanks, I'll work on it this evening and shoot in the A.M.
Joe McCarthy (Republican senator from Wisconsin (1947–57) WAS RIGHT ! And no one listened. NOW LOOK WHAT WE GOT !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_McCarthy