Winchester brass

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Re: Winchester brass

Post by savageboy23 »

Kritter Kaller wrote:
Silverfox wrote:savageboy23--Send them a letter and enclose a photo of the casing. You might find a bag of 100 new casings in your mailbox shortly after they inspect the photo. Then again, you may not get anything, but it is good for them to know their quality control inspections aren't working 100%.
I had Winchester factory ammo that was so hot, it locked the bolt and blew out primers. I sent pictures and two boxes of brass and loaded rounds to them. They weren't very generous. I got $40 in Winchester bucks, and nothing else. Would have expected note of some sort. Used Winchester bucks to buy brass, found bad brass in there. That story is even wilder. Wasn't a pretty one. Needless to say, a large retailer doesn't get my business if I can help it.
I only got a check for $25. Which isn't bad for one case. I have since switched to Norma brass.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
Travelor
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper and Remington custom

Post by Travelor »

A friend and I bought 1000 Win new 204 Ruger cases. I weight sorted them and did a quick quality inspection. 20 of the cases are defective. I have emailed Winchester with no reply as of yet.

I am a very persistent guy and WILL be following up.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

When using WW brass, I usually get at least two or three culls in a bag of 100. From past experience, don't expect Winchester to do much about ten duds in a bulk bag of 100 pieces. They should, but don't expect it.

For years we whined about not having Lapua brass for the 221FB in order to make all the neat wildcats based on that case. Norma/Nosler stepped up and started producing that case, then the very next year, Lapua jumped onto the bandwagon and started production of the 221FB case too. Maybe, just maybe, the time has come for Lapua to produce 204R cases, as the caliber has certainly caught on with the masses, as we're all wanting quality cases to work with.

If you're willing to pay the premium price for Lapua brass, email them at every opportunity, as they do listen....especially when profit is in the mix for them. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

An honest question:
How likely do you think it is that Lapua themselves would make 204 brass, rather than having Norma (or someone else) make it for them? It is quite surprising how much contract work there is between Lapua and Norma.

And I'm sorry for the bum Winchester cases. I've had a few bad experiences with certain of their brass, too. Of course, for them, it's 100% contract made, since Olin sold off their brass business several years ago.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

IMHO, Hornady brass in the boxes of 50 are far better than Win. or Rem. but not in the class with Norma. I wish Norma would make Laupa 204 brass although I have enough Norma 204 & 220 Swift to last me many years. JD Southeast Texas