Winchester brass

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Winchester brass

Post by savageboy23 »

While looking over some winchester brass for my 220 swift before I prepped it I found a case that looks like the mouth was cracked and it folded back over. Anyone else have issues like this with win brass? The case chambered in the rifle but I'm afraid to load it. I thought about emailing them but what good would it do?

Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
cosh
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FCV build from 11XP add accu-stock, Varmint barrel

Winchester brass

Post by cosh »

I have seen it once. I tried to FL size. 2x through the die and it split. I put it in the recycle bin. Too much crease to recover the neck.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Winchester brass

Post by Bill K »

One that made it past the inspection cycle..at the plant and was sent out in the bunch. Things occur. Bill K :roll:
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

savageboy23--Send them a letter and enclose a photo of the casing. You might find a bag of 100 new casings in your mailbox shortly after they inspect the photo. Then again, you may not get anything, but it is good for them to know their quality control inspections aren't working 100%.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Silverfox wrote:savageboy23--Send them a letter and enclose a photo of the casing. You might find a bag of 100 new casings in your mailbox shortly after they inspect the photo. Then again, you may not get anything, but it is good for them to know their quality control inspections aren't working 100%.
Silver fox I may try that. I just gotta find their address :chin:
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
Roach68
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12, 20" barrel

Post by Roach68 »

savageboy23 wrote:
Silverfox wrote:savageboy23--Send them a letter and enclose a photo of the casing. You might find a bag of 100 new casings in your mailbox shortly after they inspect the photo. Then again, you may not get anything, but it is good for them to know their quality control inspections aren't working 100%.

I tried this once with Hornady for .204 brass, they sent 5 to replace the 3 I had with split necks
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I have run into the same thing with new R-P brass, that's all I use in my 204. Kinda pissed me off. But when I started putting the brass in my loading blocks, 50 at a time, I still had 100 pieces of brass. So for me, it was no big deal. Never gave a thought to let Remington know what I found.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Roach68 wrote:
savageboy23 wrote:

I tried this once with Hornady for .204 brass, they sent 5 to replace the 3 I had with split necks
I couldn't find an address so I emailed them. I'll keep you posted.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

After buying bulk WW and R-P domestic brass now for going on 50 years, it's pretty much the norm to get one or two bogus cases in a bag of 100 pcs. It's just "one of those things" we have to deal with when buying bulk domestic stuff.

If you really want quality brass, you must pay the premium price, man-up and purchase imported Norma, Nosler, IMI or Lapua. Yes, it costs more, and there's a reason....... :chin:

I agree that it's a cryin' shame our country produces brass that is inferior to the quality imported stuff. It didn't use to be that way either. :? But don't get your hopes up for freebies for finding one crappy case in a bag of 100 pieces. That probably amounts to a total reject rate for the brass mill that day of .0001%. It's not going to be a big deal to Winchester, and it really shouldn't be to you.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Thanks RIO the response. After I sent the email I figured I probably won't even hear back. I have 100 pcs of Norma brass on back order at midway hopefully I may see them in the next year :wall:
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

I received a voicemail yesterday from winchester about the brass. I've been playing phone tag with them now :wall:.

Edit I finally got a hold of winchester. They emailed me a prepaid UPS label to send the defective case back and upon inspection by quality control I should receive a check for a new bag of brass according to the customer service rep. :lol:
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

That is not too bad of a return on your issue, with the brass, nice that they are doing something to aid and/or look into it. :D Bill :)
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

savageboy223--I'm glad you followed up and contacted Winchester. These big companies make millions of casings and a bad one is going to slip through once in awhile, but unless you tell them about it, they won't put a name or face on the incidence. Like my Grandpa used to say, "It is the squeaking wheel that gets the grease," or in this case the bag of 100 new casings!!! :mrgreen:
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Silverfox wrote:savageboy223--I'm glad you followed up and contacted Winchester. These big companies make millions of casings and a bad one is going to slip through once in awhile, but unless you tell them about it, they won't put a name or face on the incidence. Like my Grandpa used to say, "It is the squeaking wheel that gets the grease," or in this case the bag of 100 new casings!!! :mrgreen:
Silverfox I was informed they are out of stock of the swift brass(go figure) hence the reason for a check. I will invest it wisely in Norma cases.
Kritter Kaller
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Bolt

Post by Kritter Kaller »

I had Winchester factory ammo that was so hot, it locked the bolt and blew out primers. I sent pictures and two boxes of brass and loaded rounds to them. They weren't very generous. I got $40 in Winchester bucks, and nothing else. Would have expected note of some sort. Used Winchester bucks to buy brass, found bad brass in there. That story is even wilder. Wasn't a pretty one. Needless to say, a large retailer doesn't get my business if I can help it.