hornaday powder

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
jim204
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger hawkeye

hornaday powder

Post by jim204 »

I recently purchased a ruger hawkeye .204. in order to get the scope close, I bought a box of hornaday 32 grain v-max. to my surprise these bullets are on the money. I like to tailor my on loads but found on the Internet that hornday is using a proprietary powder. Does anyone know if Hornaday will be selling this powder or does anyone have an idea what powder is close to Horndays.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: hornaday powder

Post by Bill K »

Most likely either CFE 223 or Superformance is or will be close to what they load.. Check out their load Data site. Bill K
jim204
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger hawkeye

Post by jim204 »

Thanks Bill. Sounds like a logical start
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Albeit a few years ago,
The factory stuff WAS NOT ball powder, it was extruded, and compressed.
CFE & Stuporformance are both ball powders.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I know, but they are fine powders, and I believe Hornady is using more of them lately. I am pretty certain Winchester has used their ball type powders for years.. Could be wrong and the companies do not usually release what they are using. Trade secrets, you Know ? Bill K :)
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Bill K wrote:I know, but they are fine powders, and I believe Hornady is using more of them lately. I am pretty certain Winchester has used their ball type powders for years.. Could be wrong and the companies do not usually release what they are using. Trade secrets, you Know ? Bill K :)
Just don't want to give him the impression that they are something that they are not.

Winchester used to use their own powders, because they made them in their own plant. They no longer own any plants, NOR their cartridge brass operations. Not sure if this has ALWAYS been the case, but for a decade+, CCI makes their primers, and Nosler their bullets.

The only USA made powder now is General Dymanics in St. Marks, FL. Or from ATK, in the Army's Radford Arsenal. Both Defense Contractors, who currently are J.V.'d in the operation/production of the Radford Arsenal(possibly Lake City, but don't have the release in front of me).
ALL ball powders that Hodgdon sells come from GD's plant in FL.

Interestingly, CFE 223 is SMP-842, used in the new M855+ all copper projectile round. According to GD's press releases, they have had/been working on that powder for at least a decade.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.