Old Powder

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
venison_burger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps chambered in .204 ruger

Old Powder

Post by venison_burger »

I'm looking to load some old IMR 4831 for my 6mm Rem. In 1980 my dad bought an 8 pound canister of this stuff, and its stayed in this closed container ever since. My question is, will this powder be any less potent for any reason? How about some of the old rounds he loaded up in the early 80's that haven't been fired yet? Would there be a drop in velocity for any rounds loaded with this older powder?

Thanks, Ben
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Old Powder

Post by Bill K »

Powder,unless it is allowed to be in a lit area and open to light,damp conditions and not kept sealed, can last for years with out much effect of loss of potency. If it does not have a very strong acidic smell, load some start loads in one of your rifles and see how it preforms. As for the old rounds your Dad had, if they have not been bounced all over the place, they probably are just fine to shoot. If he loaded a safe load and/or used them himself, try a couple and see how they work. I would think you would be just fine. I have a 8 lb tin of IMR 4831 that is still going, that I have been using in my 25-06 and 30-06 for hunting loads since about 1985 and it is just fine. For deer loads and some sight in shooting that 8lb is lasting forever. Bill K
venison_burger

Post by venison_burger »

Thanks Bill! You mentioned the smell of the powder. Dad said that the powder has lost some of it's "rubbing alcohol" smell which is what got us wondering how potent the stuff is. I guess we really just need to put it on a chronograph and see how velocities look.

Thanks again!

ben
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'm still using some of my last cans of the old H4831 in my .270 Win that is marked:

"THIS IS WWII SURPLUS POWDER - STORAGE LIFE IS NOT GUARANTEED"

This stuff was purchased around 1969 - 1972 period, and is still giving the same results it always has, BUT I keep my powder at room temp stored in the house "with me", so it's been temp and humidity controlled it's entire life. The stuff of course is 20mm cannon powder, and for something that's around 70 years old, is still lookin' and workin' purty good. Velocity has not changed more than 20 fps in all that time.

Just food for thought. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

A friend thought he was doing me a favor by giving me his ancient can of Dupont 4350 for my 6.5x55. It actually had rusty-colored dust that pufffed out of it when I unscrewed the top, and the particles actually have a slight rust-color tint.

I dumped the can over a screen and shook it and blew over it for about an hour (like sifting grain), and reserved it for "fouler' rounds (odd wt brass, various trim length, etc). Not recommending doing that... just saying that I did it...

My last 300y group using those rounds to foul up before testing another load printed under 1" (3 shots).

FWIW...YRMV...
venison_burger

Post by venison_burger »

Thanks Rick and bow shot. Good news I guess I'll load with confidence!
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

bow shot wrote:A friend thought he was doing me a favor by giving me his ancient can of Dupont 4350 for my 6.5x55. It actually had rusty-colored dust that pufffed out of it when I unscrewed the top, and the particles actually have a slight rust-color tint.

I dumped the can over a screen and shook it and blew over it for about an hour (like sifting grain), and reserved it for "fouler' rounds (odd wt brass, various trim length, etc). Not recommending doing that... just saying that I did it...

My last 300y group using those rounds to foul up before testing another load printed under 1" (3 shots).

FWIW...YRMV...
When I came across several old cans of powder; some Reloader 21 packaged in those cool metal cube cans with the metal snap caps (1960's-'70's), it too was turning red and acrid. In this case I burned it off in little trails placed on a wetted concrete walkway (burning off in narrow shallow trails is the recommended disposal method). Wetting the concrete prevents staining from powder residue, a broom and hose nozzle cleans it right up. I would not use it for loading cartridges, although my powder was far along in the decay process. Some spread smokeless powder lightly on the soil, cultivate it in and water well. It breaks down to fertilizer fairly fast, but has to be sparsely broadcast so it won't create a hazard.

Here's the recommendations from Alliant Powder: http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_st ... dling.aspx scroll down to the section on How to Check Smokeless Powder for Deterioration.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I thought my IMR4831 was old, purchased in 1978. Stored in air tight metal containers and still smells new. After reading Rick's post it looks like I better get it used up no later than 2055! Now, the Lil' Gun thing sounds a bit different, is it? Or is it a matter of being exposed to light, extremes in temperature/humidity, etcetera. I've never had a reason to use it.
blkdog

Post by blkdog »

About a year ago a friend gave me some old powder that his father had. When I opened acan I too noticed a rusty residue on the powder. I called Dupont and wa advised to NEVER USE powder with the residue as it can be very unstable. They reccomened using it in the rose garden , which I did. I'm not taking chances on old powder to save a few bucks.