Mixed day at range

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Mixed day at range

Post by jrwoitalla »

Went the range yesterday. Had a few loads to try out, some new, some tried and true. First load tested was shot @ 100yds to see how 27.1gr of 2230c behind 40gr V-Max's in Winchester, neck sized 223cal brass, with an COAL of 2.30" would compare with crimped vs non crimped. For this bullet/powder combo I've always gotten my best groups with 27.5-28.0gr of 2230c powder. The weather was just about perfect- cool, and a very slight breeze. The upshot- the non crimped loads shot about 1.5" groups. As soon as I started shooting the crimped loads the improvement was astounding! Shot after shot either went right through the previous shot or touched the old one. Either way, their was no getting around the truth of the matter, the crimped loads out shot the non crimped loads hands down :D So I was expecting a repeat performance with the Barnes 36gr bullets. Kept everything the same. Sadly, both the crimped and the non crimped loads shot about 2" groups. The crimp did change the shape of the groups however. The non crimped groups were in a round pattern and the crimped groups were in a string left to right(go figure). Now I'll try bumping up the amount of powder, and I'll also try loading with 748 powder. I sure hope I can get those Barnes bullets to shoot well as I need a lead free bullet living here in Kalifornia.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: Mixed day at range

Post by Wrangler John »

Most accurate lead free load for the .223 Remington I have found is the 40 grain Nosler BT Lead Free bullet, 21.5 grains of Reloader -10x, Winchester primer, loaded in Winchester cases. Shoots consistently in the low .2's, with the development group being 10 shots @ 100 yards = .206". Rifle is a custom built Savage Precision Target Action equipped with a Pac-Nor 1:9" twist polygonal barrel. The 36 Grain Barnes Varmint Grenade and the 35 grain Nosler BT Lead Free also work with Reloader 10-x although powder charge may need refining for a particular barrel. These lighter bullets may stabilize better in some slower twist barrels.

If your loads are shooting better when crimped, they may benefit from increased neck tension instead. You could try a bushing size die without using an expander ball to adjust for increased neck tension. A simple experiment would be to remove the expander ball from your current die and load a few test rounds. Don't overdo it, .002" - .004" should be plenty. Also be sure any neck lube is removed from your cases as any residue can reduce neck pull. I would not crimp bullets without cannelure grooves.

Speer makes .224" TNT Green Lead Free bullets in 30, 43 and 50 grain weights. The 43 and 50 grain bullets come with a cannelure groove to which a light crimp can be applied. Loading data can be found here: http://www.speer-bullets.com/whatsnew/n ... _data.aspx