Lapua Flash Hole FYI

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
jlc204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 vlp single shot 204

Lapua Flash Hole FYI

Post by jlc204 »

Saw this post on another forum and thought I'd pass it along in case anyone cares...

“Just for info, the flash holes are punched, not drilled. We actually found we had greater problems with alignment and burrs drilling the holes than we do punching them. That, however, assumes the punch is properly set up and adjusted.”
Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Lapua Flash Hole FYI

Post by Bill K »

Interesting, but that goes against everything I have ever read or seen about drilling instead of punching flash holes. Bill K :roll:
jlc204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 vlp single shot 204

Post by jlc204 »

I agree, but that's straight from Lapua's U.S. Representative.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index. ... 898.0.html
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Really, what we were led to believe is usually wrong, or just not as important as we thought. It doesn't make any difference how the flash hole is pierced, what size it is, or even if its round. Off center flash holes make a difference as a decapping pin can break if the offset is too great. I have been purchasing Lapua brass for the 6.5 x 284 and the .22-250 Remington lately. What I discovered is that even Lapua brass comes with a reject rate that averages about 2%, or 2 cases per 100. Defects consisted of split or folded necks, neck folds that extended into the shoulder, out of round flash holes, distorted primer pocket that would not accept a uniformer tool, and burred flash holes. In the future I will purchase either Privi-Partisan or Winchester .22-250 brass again as it is less expensive and works as well. Live and learn.