Seating Flat Based Bullets

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Re: Seating Flat Based Bullets

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

As noted above in earlier posts there are some big advantages to using a VLD chamfer tool. By placing the correct chamfer on the case mouth it will protect the bullets from being damaged as well as allow the bullet to seat much easier versus a standard chamfer or no chamfer at all. If you are interested in giving our chamfer tool a try visit the website or send me a PM. We gurantee satisfaction on all our products and will offer a full refund if you aren't happy with the products. To date i have never had a return on one of my VLD Chamfer tools. :D

Brad
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

ryutzy wrote:I highly recommend the Redding Seater dies. I have the competition version and while it's expensive, it sure is sweet---holds the bullet in perfect alignment during the seating process.
+1 PRICY but beautiful and very little run-out :D
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
bigt73
.204 Ruger Guns: i own a .204 howa

Post by bigt73 »

i use a arbor press and wilson seating die, i need a better chamfer,and would also like a tool to check concentricity..

tony
204foxguy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 lrpv

Post by 204foxguy »

bow shot wrote:VLD chamfer! You'll be very glad you did! Not perfect, but waaay better than standard chamfer.. and its a very cheap solution.

Ok, going to borrow one from a fellow reloader and prep the remaining 150 cases and give it a try.
If this cures my loading it's going on the Christmas list. :)

I now have the VLD tool.
I trimed 50 cases to length & Chamfered the inside with the VLD chamfer tool, I didn't have 10x loupe to inspect the chamfer all i had was a .204 flat based bullet i used to see if it appeared to want to set in place on the case. The cases with the VLD Chamer did allow the bullet to set Straight for it to be Seated.

I did break down and order the Redding Competition Bullet Seater yesterday.
Also, tried to order 500 32 grain nosler Varmageddon .204 bullets, but they were on back order.
Have you tried the new Varmagetton 32 gr .204 bullets from Nosler? Your impression's?

Thank's To all for Sharing your Experiances.

FoxGuy
Last edited by 204foxguy on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

bow shot wrote:VLD chamfer! You'll be very glad you did! Not perfect, but waaay better than standard chamfer.. and its a very cheap solution.
#1!
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

204foxguy wrote:

Ok, going to borrow one from a fellow reloader and prep the remaining 150 cases and give it a try.
If this cures my loading it's going on the Christmas list. :)
Careful not to go crazy with the VLD cutters. They are all generally very sharp and will remove material in a hurry! You don't want a knife edge on you case mouths.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Trent is spot-on with this advice. These tools cut quite well, and you can remove too much material in short order if you're not careful. Just a couple of light twists does it.

For best results with this task, along with primer pocket uniforming and flash hole deburring , use a 10X jewelers loupe to inspect every case. Once you do, you'll see cases that need more attention that could never have been seen without using magnification. We're trying to make these cases as perfect as possible, and you just can't do it without a bit of magnification even with young eyeballs. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

Trent wrote:One thing I can add is that I use a VLD case mouth chamfer on all my cases regardless of what bullets I am using. All my bullets start into the case mouth easily and smoothly.
+1!