Chrony Ballistics Software

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
madpaddler
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FCV

Chrony Ballistics Software

Post by madpaddler »

Has any one used the Chrony Ballistics II software? This is the software that Shooting Chrony sells to work with their products. If so, what do you think of it?
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Re: Chrony Ballistics Software

Post by Trent »

I would also be interested in info on this.
GaCop103
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 110 in 204

Post by GaCop103 »

I don't know about their software but, if it's anything like their chronographs, it will probably go belly up in a year. I bought a Beta Chrony last year and it's already "gone south" with velocity fluctuations in the order of 215 fps from one shot to the next yet the loads are shooting accurate groups. I had a PACT PC2 that lasted me 14 years before it quit working. Parts were no longer available so I made the mistake of ordering the Chrony because of the price. I've rectified that mistake by ordering a PACT Professional XP, something I should have done last year.

Tom
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

So GACOP, why didn't you send it back? I understand they do a good job of standing behind their product. :roll:
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Experiences on these things really vary. I had a Chrony Beta unit for over 15 years before it started going TI. It was so old, the factory didn't even have parts for it any more, so I replaced it with the same model but with the bench-mounted remote readout screen....so far it's worked perfectly for a year now.....we'll see how it goes. No experience with their software though, I'm using Sierra Infinity 6.0.

Wish I had an Ohler 35.......... :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

GaCop103
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 110 in 204

Post by GaCop103 »

Ahab wrote:So GACOP, why didn't you send it back? I understand they do a good job of standing behind their product. :roll:
Still have to do that when I get the proverbial "round to it". I ended up going with the Prochrono Digital as the user reports on the PACT were NOT good.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

GaCop103 wrote:"velocity fluctuations in the order of 215 fps from one shot to the next yet the loads are shooting accurate groups."

Tom
Interesting you mention that. There have been times when I chronographed and experienced the same results. Onn the flip side, I've chronographed loads that had excellent #'s but the group(s) were all over the place.

On chronographs, I've used a CHRONY for about 20 ears now and so far so good. I did question it once, with the 204 velocity results and I was fortunate to test it with another unit and it had the same results.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

GaCop to help reduce velocity fluctuations move your chrony out to around 20ft from muzzle. This helped my chrony give more consistant readings. Or maybe you are already out that far.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

ryutzy wrote:GaCop to help reduce velocity fluctuations move your chrony out to around 20ft from muzzle. This helped my chrony give more consistant readings. Or maybe you are already out that far.
In addition...make sure your shots are flying the same height over the sensors and make sure the shots are centered over the sensors. If the chronograph detects any turbulence from the muzzle, wall or other source, readings can be skewed. Keep an eye out for changing light sources too.