Rests for working up loads

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
jlc204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 vlp single shot 204

Re: Rests for working up loads

Post by jlc204 »

RIO,
I'm planning to purchase a 13B rear bag and Protektor gives the option to fill it with heavy sand for an additional charge. Would like to get your thoughts on this. Will the heavy sand give better stability? I will be shooting off a concrete bench only, not gonna carry it around in the field so weight is not a negative factor in this case.
Thanks
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jlc: The only downside to that option is additional UPS charges, but otherwise, it's a good idea unless you've got good access to zircon sand or other fine, clean sand. Filling those bags properly can be a PIA at times too, so having your bag arrive ready to use without the hassle and mess makes good sense. The extra shipping charge is soon forgotten.

My Protektor No. 13B came filled too........perfect. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jlc204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 vlp single shot 204

Post by jlc204 »

Ok thanks. The lady at protektor told me their is a 5-6 pound weight difference between regular sand and the heavy sand in the 13B, but I'm gonna take advantage of their 'free shipping to your local gun shop' offer, so the weight difference won't matter in that regard.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I too stricktley use a bench rest setup similar to ricks when doing my load workups. Steadyer the better! without a positivly stout and steady rest you are adding to many variables in your load test! Good Luck Oh and for sand bags ? I reload shotshells for skeet and trap as well and empty lead shot bags filled with sand and hot glued shut are what i use for bags! There free and easy to make
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Well I've managed about 300 rounds in trigger time (which really aint a lot for this kind of expeiment), and of course everyone is right. Bags are best, and a rear bag with a front rest would be even better. But IF If if I do everything right, I shoot as well off the pod with a rear bag as I do with a (kinda crappy bass pro) bag in front. However, doing everything right with the 'pod requires a LOT more attention to form. That's kinda good for me, since I do all of my critter wacking off the pod.. but only in that regard.
GaCop103
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 110 in 204

Post by GaCop103 »

I'm using a Caldwell "The Rock" front rest and a Protector rear bag. I bought my bag empty. I filled it with playground sand from Lowe's. Filling was made easy by a long neck funnel I got at "Wally World" in the automotive department.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Sooner or later that will be an investment I'll make. It aint fun wondering how much "me" is in a test group!