Tikka 595

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Tikka 595

Post by jrwoitalla »

Just figured out how to post pics and I only have a few. Here is one of my bug hole groups at 100yds from my Tikka Master Continental in 223. It doesn't always perform this well. This is a 5 shot group. I was weaned on 5 shot groups, don't understand why people even bother with 3 shot groups, they don't make much sense to me. Cheese, I don't even put a whole lot a trust in 5 shotters, we all should be doing something more like 10 or 20 shot groups if you ask me. Course I'm usually wrong about most stuff, just go read what I thought about parallax. Anyhoo, the load is 40gr V-Max with 27.5gr of 2230c powder, #400 primers, and a COAL of 2.315". This load shoots better in cold weather than hot for some reason but don't tell skippy cause he can't tell the difference. It still gives em flying lessons quite nicely even out to 300yds.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: Tikka 595

Post by Silverfox »

jrwoitalla--Nice shooting. The Tikka 595 rifles are one of the best factory rifles for out-of-box accuracy and yours is definitely no exception!!!

I have to disagree just a little bit about 3-shot groups. I shoot just about every test load over my chronograph. The 3-shot test loads give me a good idea about the velocity for that particular powder charge and a rough idea about the potential accuracy of the load. Once I get a load or two that appear to be accurate, then I load up 5 casings of each powder charge weight and get serious about picking the right load. I do agree, that the 3-shot groups aren't as telling about velocity and accuracy as a 5-shot group, but also like you mentioned, a 5-shot group isn't as predictive as a 10-shot or 20-shot group either.

Please post a photo of your rifle, scope, etc.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox