FPS spread

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
cracker

FPS spread

Post by cracker »

what is an exceptable spread for the 308 win. my best load to date is givingme around a 75 fps spread. it gives me 1 to 1.25 groups at 100
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: FPS spread

Post by Jim White »

Personally, I don't pay a lot of attention to velocity variations, it's how it prints on paper to me. I've seen several times where the tightest velocity spreads produced subpar groups as compared to those with wider FPS extremes.

Another side is there are a lot of variables when it comes to chronographing and they too have to be taken into the equation.

Don't if this answered your question or not though...
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I cant really answer that question, however I have noticed that my ES has dropped significantly since I've moved my chronograph a few more feet back from the muzzle. I was probably at 10 feet and I've extended it to about 14 feet and it seems to give me more consistent readings.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

It depends a lot on the range, the size of your target and your standards. With a 178-gr A-Max, 75 fps makes about two feet difference in POI @1000 yards.