Sonic Cleaner or Tumbler

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
M_D
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Re: Sonic Cleaner or Tumbler

Post by M_D »

Fred_C_Dobbs wrote:
M_D wrote:Fred, How long do you run the cases when you use the steel media, and are you using any additive or detergent? Have you tried it in a vibratory tumbler? I would expect the standard light duty vibratory tumblers sold for polishing cases might not vibrate well enough with the extra weight of the water and steel.
Sorry to have overlooked your question so long, M_D.

It's my understanding the SS media only will work in a rotary tumbler. The media weighs less than the water so it's water that makes it really heavy. You run the SS media with a bit of dishwashing detergent and a dish washer additive called "Lemi-Shine." It doesn't sparke so much without the lemi-shine. I've never tried running it shorter than two hours.
Thanks Fred, I haven't used the steel media before, but have been meaning to order some so I can test it for cleaning cases and see how it compares to every thing else. When I do, I'll probably try it in a vibratory as well rotary just to compare. I'll post the results when done, good or bad, if I think of it.
Griffy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25

Re: Sonic Cleaner or Tumbler

Post by Griffy »

Hi,

This is an update to my original post here. I purchased the Thumbler Tumbler and SS media kit from Sinclair International. I followed the directions is the video link below and the brass REALLY looks that good when done. I have run 204 R, 270 Win and 270 WSM as well as nickel plated cases. Results to date are great. I have not observed any denting of the case necks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-6SOiWE ... creen&NR=1

:D